Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Suggestions: replacing Weil McClain EG-65 steam boiler

EdwinD
EdwinD Member Posts: 159
My 30 year old gas, steam, cast iron boiler needs replacing: Weil-McClain EG-65. Any suggestions on a modern boiler that you highly recommend as a replacement? My home is 2100 square feet. Thanks!
Weil-McLain EG55 2 pipe Vapor System
OP Pressure .10 -.25 oz
8-Way Boiler Water Treatment
Barnes & Jones Big Mouth Vents

Comments

• EdwinD
    FYI its a 2 pipe system.
    OP Pressure .10 -.25 oz
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    edited December 2017
    You need to measure out the radiation first. I would start to look for an experienced steam installer.

EdwinD
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    edited December 2017
    i am a fan of peerless , dont like burnham at all they are prone to leak!!!!!!!
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
    EdwinD
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    If your present near boiler piping is satisfactory, is there a good reason not to replace it with a new EG-65?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    kcoppEdwinD
  • The installer is more important than the make of boiler. He will have to calculate the size of boiler from the amount of radiators, and be able to follow the manual for its installation. He will choose a boiler from a stocking distributor in your area, so any needed parts are available later in its life. He will show you how to clean the boiler in its first weeks of service, and even recommend books to read during the many hours that skimming takes. He will also determine if some problem in the system had accelerated the death of the present boiler.
    Get yourself some of the steam books, available on this site, so you will be able to choose the right installer.
    If we know your location, we may be able to recommend a good person. Post some pictures of your boiler, and it’s piping, for critical analysis here. It’s possible, if you had a bad installation, and you end up with a good installation, that your gas usage will be reduced 30%.—NBC
    EdwinD
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Definitely check the EDR. That seems like a lot of radiation for 2100sqft. That boiler will heat 650edr. Could squeeze 700 with good insulation.

But I know in the 20s for example after the Spanish flu epidemic, they sometimes added extra radiation so you could open windows in winter for ventilation.
    EdwinD
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Size it properly! You should also make sure to size it properly.

In addition make sure you have a steam expert, steam has many subtle details that need to be correct to get it right. Not just anyone can do it properly.

Where are you located? We may know someone good in your area.

Post some pictures of your current boiler and piping and we can give you some feedback about how good or bad your current setup is.

As far as boilers, there hasn't been any significant changes for many years. That EG you have is basically the same today, with some subtle changes for safeties and slight efficiency gains.

One one final thought, make sure it is sized properly. If you want we can actually walk you through the process and you can do it on your own as a reality check for the bids you may get from contractors.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    EdwinD
  • EdwinD
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for all of the great advice. I decided to stick with my exsiting boiler and replace the entire section instead. One other question: the insulation blanket within the boiler casing is worn and needs replacing...is there a specific type of insulation needed for steam boilers? One potential installer said regular home insulation is ok. That doesn't sound right to me. Please advise.
    OP Pressure .10 -.25 oz
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    You can probably buy it from McClain but they will get several pounds of flesh for it. Unfaced fiberglass insulation will work just fine.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    EdwinD
  • EdwinD
    Thank you BobC.
    OP Pressure .10 -.25 oz