Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Losing water faster and faster

Options
rjmxrjmx
rjmxrjmx Member Posts: 6
edited November 2017 in Oil Heating
We have a Weil-McLain SGO-5 boiler system that seems to be losing water at a faster rate as time goes by. When we first moved in, almost three years ago, it would need topping up perhaps once per day. Now, even though the outside temp is only in the thirties and forties, it runs out in a few hours. I don’t see any water leaks, and steam release from the radiators appears to be about the same. What can I do to fix this?

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    The rads should not release steam. Call someone who works on steam.
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,338
    Options
    As @unclejohn says, you may need to call a steam man. Check "Find a Contractor" on this web site for your area.

In the meantime, though, the vents on the radiators should not release steam. If they are doing so, they are probably shot, and need to be replaced. But before you even think of doing that, check the pressure at which the boiler cuts out. It should be no more than 1.5 to 2 psi.

Also, and I hate to suggest this, step outside when the boiler is firing, and see if you see clouds of white "smoke" from the chimney. You may have a leak in the boiler, and I've never known a leak to get smaller with time.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Ironmanbob17
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Do you have any piping returns under the floor?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    If you're putting that much water into the boiler, you're going to kill it.
    With the boiler off you could over fill it up to almost the header and see if any water leaks, or as @Jamie Hall suggested, the "Pope/No Pope" method (White smoke signals Pope!-crack/leak in steam chest)
    It's almost always either boiler leaking, or returns leaking.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• New England SteamWorks
    Options
    You need a steam man. Quickly.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • rjmxrjmx
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, folks.
    Somebody suggested checking the chimney for steam when I had another problem a couple of years ago. So, yesterday, I made sure the boiler was running, then I went out and checked. Didn’t see anything (no smoke, no steam), so I don’t know whether we have a new Pope or not. (Boiler was still running when I went back inside. I checked).
    Radiators all seem to emit a little steam when the boiler is coming up, but that lasts for less than a minute. No (obvious) steam after that.
    Anyway, we’ll get somebody in to look at it.
    Thanks again.
  • rjmxrjmx
    Options
    Forgot to mention: where I come from (Australia), I never lived anywhere that had internal heating. Air conditioning, yes, but no heat. I’m still a bit bewildered by all this.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Whats bewildering to me is that any one lives in Australia when these things also live there.
    Grallert
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Was the boiler running long enough to make steam, before you went out to check for white smoke? If it just started running for a minute or two, it may not have been making steam yet. Also, there should be no steam out of any radiator vent or supply valve, at all. If there is, the vents need to be cleaned or replaced or the valves need to be repacked (around the valve stem)
    The water has to be going somewhere and a lot of fresh makeup water will take years off of the life of a boiler. Find the leak(s) and fix them.
  • rjmxrjmx
    Options
    unclejohn: "What does not kill me makes me stronger" -- Nietzsche

Fred: Boiler had been running for a while, so I think it should have been ok, but I will check again.
    As for steam leaks, they've been doing this since we moved in, so we assumed it was normal (my wife is American, so I assumed she knew about these things. I certainly don't). I don't think much has changed there -- we get a few whistles for a minute or so and that's all.
    But, as you say, the water must be going somewhere. That's the bit that has me puzzled.
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    Another way to find a fault in the boiler sections is to get a very cold polished steel or chrome object like a wrench and put it into the flue path for a second then look for condensation on it
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    Do you have any steam return lines run under your basement floor??
  • rjmxrjmx
    Options
    No, I don’t seem to have any steam return lines. That has me puzzled too. There’s one and only one pipe going to each radiator, as far as I can see. So where’s the steam supposed to go?
    I’m an electronics/computer guy, so please forgive me if I don’t know much about heating...
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Pictures of boiler showing piping from floor to ceiling, several angles would help those here help you.
  • Fred
    Options
    Sounds like a one pipe system. There is only one pipe to each radiator. Steam goes to the radiator, once it condenses in that radiator, the water returns to the boiler through that same pipe. I'm assuming there is a larger pipe (The Main) that those radiator run-outs branch off of. The Question is does that larger pipe, the main, (1) loop back towards the boiler and then drops down or (2) dead end elsewhere in the basement and then drops to near/at or below the floor and that lower pipe runs back to the boiler or (3) Is that larger pipe (Main) pitched lower at the boiler and has a pipe off of it, right at the boiler that drops back into the boiler. If number 1 or 2, it is a parallel flow system (water returns to the boiler flowing in the same direction as the steam). (If #3, it is a counter flow system (water returns in a direction counter to the flow of the steam).
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Fred, some pictures would have saved you all that typing. ;)
  • Fred
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

Fred, some pictures would have saved you all that typing. ;)

I know but we still need the pictures. Some Posters are bashful, thinking we will jump all over their near boiler piping. :)
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Well, it was an excellent dissertation on steam systems.
    However IMO, I don't think this poster is concerned about any NBP commentary.
    rjmxrjmx
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    Yeah, @Jughne, first we gotta keep water in it. Then we get to NBP and then pigtails and vaporstats 0-5 lb gages and air vents. All the things to make it work right.

maybe I got the sequence wrong LOL
  • rjmxrjmx
    Options
    Actually, I am interested. I like to know how things work, and I was wondering why there was only one pipe to each radiator. Thanks for the explanation.
    I’ll try to get some photos tomorrow.
  • Fred
    Options
    So there @JUGHNE :)
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Fine Then!! ......Fred :)
  • CapeCodOilGuy
    CapeCodOilGuy Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Don't forget to let us know on here how the problem got solved-that's how we learn!