Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Converting Sears wall furnace

Options
rmlynch25
rmlynch25 Member Posts: 1
I have a natural gas Sears vented wall furnace model 867.730600 that came out of an old house. I'd like to convert it to use propane and use in my garage. What do I need to convert from natural gas to propane?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    How many burners does it have? What is the input? Based on that I can tell you what size orifices you need. You will need a new orifice for the pilot. The gas valve needs to also be identified as to Make Model so a proper kit can be ordered to convert the regulator on the gas valve.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Try to find out who was the original manufacturer and inquire there. Not all equipment is approved for changing from NG to LP. IMO
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Do you have the owner's manual? I couldn't find it on line... the ones I did find, however, suggest that specific models were LP, and others natural gas. You still might be able to convert, but you will need to change the burner orifices, the pilot assembly, the pilot orifice, and probably any gas valves or pressure regulators. Have you contacted Sears directly?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    867 means it came from the Heil-Quaker side of things. If you can't get anywhere with Sears parts, good luck! A Hot Dawg isn't that expensive! And the ones at Menards are even less than a Dawg wholesale.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Can the Hot Dawg do LP?
    I tried to do an older Heil furnace from NG to LP years ago and factory said no way for that particular model my customer had.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    ProCom Blue Flame are cheap
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    And if you want to go really cheap and redneck, try Northern Tool or Tractor Supply... !
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    The Dawg can do LP.