Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Underfloor Radiant R-15/R-23/R-30?

Options
Steamback
Steamback Member Posts: 37
edited November 2017 in Radiant Heating
Knee-jerk reactions, please. Say you need to insulate your radiant underfloor system and have 3 options.

The system is 8" Pex centers and uses stamped sheet plates throughout, and the finish floor above is relatively thin. The building is new construction with beyond code-minimum wall and roof R-value and the floor with the radiant is fully within the enclosed thermal envelope of the building.

Your options include:

1) R-15 Mineral Wool
2) R-23 Mineral Wool
3) R-30 Mineral Wool

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    No prices, please.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Steamback
    Steamback Member Posts: 37
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Oh, sorry Jamie. I thought that policy was about naming individuals or companies. I took out the prices...
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    I presume the space below -- as well as above -- is within the building envelope? In which case... any heat which goes down into that space is useful anyway. So I wouldn't go overboard on the insulation.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Rich_49Zman
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    R-23
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    In a house I have on the board right now , assuming a 55* below temp and space above not heated , 1,800 sf , R 15 showing a downward loss of 4,715 and an increase to R 30 shows 4,305 downward loss . Save your money . SWTs remain unchanged with either .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • djc2232
    djc2232 Member Posts: 136
    Options
    I have radiant staple up. 1620 sqft ranch with a 4 ft crawl space mostly insulated. I have mostly r19 and r11 in a few spots and it does just fine. No plates.