Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Death seemed eminent but a kidney transplant saved my faithful companion

Options
Fred
Fred Member Posts: 8,542
edited November 2017 in Strictly Steam
Walked to the basement this morning as I always do, just to peek in at the boiler and make sure everything was well. As I turned on the landing to step down into the basement, I saw a little stream of water slowly making its way out the boiler room door and towards a floor drain. As tears welled up in my eyes, I braced myself to see the carcass of my dear old friend huddled in its lifelong home, there in the corner room, losing the last of it very life blood, knowing there would be nothing I could do to resuscitate it from the ravages of that dreaded "R" word (Rot).
As I approached her, from the side, slowly moving towards the front where the water seemed to be coming from, eyes so filled with tears I could barely see, I noticed the water was dripping from my MM #67 LWCO! My buddy's only surviving kidney was failing. It Looked like a simple gasket leak so I went about to gather my tools to begin the delicate task of taking it apart and attempting to make the needed repairs. As I got deeper into what I thought would be relatively minor surgery, I realized the gasket was fine albeit damaged by my pulling things apart and that the leak was coming from a weld on the end of the float, the portion that protrudes through the ring gasket and has a rocker arm on it to trip the circuit switch. Fortunately, I had a spare gasket and float on ice and was able to complete the kidney transplant without any complications.
Once surgery was completed, I knew I had to get the patient up and moving so that I could test the new kidney and avoid any post surgery issues (blood clots and the like, you know). Anyway, you'll all be happy to know the procedure was a success and we hope that my dear, dear friend will live to blow down on my grave.
THE END :'(
MilanDLionA29RomanGK_26986764589New England SteamWorksSailahb_bzZmanErin Holohan Haskellreggi

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Drama King :D
    Canucker
  • Fred
    Options
    LOL! @JUGHNE
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Imagine how he will act if and when it does actually fail?!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    MilanDRomanGK_26986764589
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    Lol @Fred

Having a kidney on ice just in case is smart move! Who's your dealer?

Show of hands how many of you all have spare parts on hand for most that can go wrong on your systems?

Here's my recent surgery story (whether or not you asked for it). I have (sigh!) hot air heat at home. Last Friday around kids bath time I noticed it was getting a little chilly. (Friday. After 7 pm. Of course!). 67f on a 70f call. Hmmm... I go down to the basement (thankfully I cleaned one year of project piles the previous weekend so everything is accessible and in its place - as if I knew), I look down on the circuit board to see led showing flame proof fail code. I'm thinking easy peasy, I'll rubb the flame sensor with some sand paper, or just replace it. Super easy, located in front of the fire box - plenty room to get to it.

I run the sequence and sure enough, it's not it, but the hot surface igniter not coming on. It had to be it, of course. So, I reach into my furnace parts box, pull out a new one, and after some choice words directed at the access of the said hsi reachable only by tips of my finger behind both the pvc intake vent and gas line pipe, proceed to remove the old and carefully insert the new one after a few more choice words... I reconnect the wires and voila - we're back in business. One of my prouder moments.

And I have a Master degree in Music.

Until I get to my mid-life crisis project and install steam system in my own house, this hot air furnace will have live some more. And, to boot, I saved my self a service call to a tech at 7 pm on a Friday night.

I now bought a new circuit board too and am waiting for it to go next. Dunno, have a hunch. Or maybe the original 23 yo gas valve. Have it too.

This board and you all have been a huge inspiration and source of much knowledge as well as directing to search on for more knowledge. I'm on PLC learning spree now, in preparation for my mid-life crisis steamer project.
    hydro_newbieb_bz
  • LionA29
    LionA29 Member Posts: 255
    Options
    Glad you got it back running. Nothing more rewarding when you recover from a breakdown!!
    Great job @Fred .
    Fred
  • Fred
    Options
    Thanks @MilanD , I try to keep most common parts on hand for a lot of home and auto. I'm sure I have probably $15K in spare parts for my Hummer. The dealer often calls me when they need a part and can't source it as soon as they need it. I drop it off to them and they replace it when there order is received. They take care of me when I need work done on mine ( I usually have to take the parts with me though, if I want the truck back the same day. Hummer H1 parts are getting hard to source. Still available but often back ordered.
    RomanGK_26986764589MilanDratio
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    Good news @Fred !!

Well, my boiler is probably 40 year old Crane atmospheric gas hot water with a millivolt gas valve.

(yeah, the shoemakers kids are barefoot)

Maybe 30 years ago in a foolish energy saving mode I ripped out the millivolt and put in the stack damper electronic ignition kit.

Worked fine for 10 years or so. Then it would spark on start-up, light the pilot but not prove main flame. I cleaned, adjusted, checked gas pressure, flame signal ground wire to the burner, adjusted the pilot, replaced the module gas valve was fine when hot wired.

In utter disgust I ripped it all out and the old millivolt went back in (been sitting on the shelf for years, I don't throw anything away) and away we went. Worked fine.

Well the millivolt finally quit. Had to replace the 40 year old thermopile.....back in business!!
    MilanD
  • PMJ
    PMJ Member Posts: 1,265
    Options
    I still run a standing pilot with bimetal strip safety. Leave the pilot on year round - literally no cycles on the strips - ok one per year for the test. Slightly warmer cabinet all summer is a good thing. I'm quite happy to pay the cost of the gas. The device is 61 years old and would still outlive any new device I could put on there many times over. Hmmm - something wrong with that picture. No, no spare.
    1926 1000EDR Mouat 2 pipe vapor system,1957 Bryant Boiler 463,000 BTU input, Natural vacuum operation with single solenoid vent, Custom PLC control
    MilanD
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,293
    Options
    Love it, @Fred!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com