Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler turns off

Options
Hi guys when my steam boiler turns off After about 5 minutes after the heating cycle I hear a banging sound in my pipes it only happens once wondering if anyone knew what that might be thanks gits

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    After that much time off, it doesn't seem so likely that it is a hammer. My first reaction would be a bang caused by the pipes contracting as they cool. Can you locate it at all?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    daveamir
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited November 2017
    Options
    What kind of hangers are your steam mains supported by (steel hangers against the iron pipe)? I'm wondering if a main might be contracting, as Jamie said, and dragging a hanger along with it until it reaches a point where it springs back into its proper position. If that's what's happening, slip a strip of plastic milk carton between the hanger and the pipe.
    daveamir
  • daveamir
    daveamir Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Will a pic help can this cause a problem
  • Fred
    Options
    Yes, post a picture. The noise is more of an aggravation than anything else, if it is, in fact, a hanger contact issue.
    daveamir
  • daveamir
    Options
    Ok I will post when I get home thanks
  • daveamir
    Options
    Here are the pics the rest of the main is covered with little openings in ceiling so it can heat the basement
  • acwagner
    acwagner Member Posts: 505
    Options
    Another possibility is the lack of hangers. On my system, I had a similar problem because the run out pipe to a radiator was pretty long (10 feet or so) and was completely unsupported except by the radiator connection. It would make a sound similar to what you are describing during cool down. I added a support and it went away.

Have you been able to determine generally where the noise is coming from?

If not, after shutdown, try walking around all the radiators. Your weight on the floor might be enough to trigger the noise. Or you could push down on the radiator valve a little. That's how I discovered the location of mine.
    Burnham IN5PVNI Boiler, Single Pipe with 290 EDR
    18 Ounce per Square Inch Gauge
    Time Delay Relay in Series with Thermostat
    Operating Pressure 0.3-0.5 Ounce per Square Inch

daveamir
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    I have one too. I suspect it's a hanger that's dropped...since the floor has sagged. I probably just need to adjust the threaded rod.

FYI - I'd pretty sure the gas water heater isn't vented right. It's supposed to have a top hat for secondary air. Can;t see how the boiler and water heater flues are connected, if at all.

Also, is the basement and house fairly leaky? If not, You really should have a make up air vent down there since it's semi-finished space. Keep water heater and boiler from back venting in winter when stack effect creates a negative pressure on lower levels. A powered flue damper on the boiler isn't a bad option either. A lot of hot air goes out the chimney between cycles. I rettrofitted one on mine it's it's a huge difference. I figure it saves around $20-40 per month in energy being wasted. Keeps the basement warmer too.
    daveamir
  • Fred
    Options
    I don't see any hangers on those mains, except maybe right at the boiler where they branch off. Somebody probably took the hangers off when they put that paneling on the ceiling. That allows a lot of movement in that piping. You probably should have some hangers every ten feet or so, along those mains. That, by itself may solve the problem. Make sure when you do that that the mains are pitched properly.
    daveamir
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    mikeg2015 said:

...FYI - I'd pretty sure the gas water heater isn't vented right. It's supposed to have a top hat for secondary air. Can;t see how the boiler and water heater flues are connected, if at all...

Neither flue pipe should be that close to combustibles (i.e. wood paneling). Also maximum length for a flue connector is 10'.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

daveamir
  • daveamir
    Options
    Thanks guys I think I will have a plumber take a look make sure all is safe thank guys