Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best thermostat with wireless sensor?

bipbap
bipbap Member Posts: 191
We have a one-pipe steam system and are looking to upgrade to a thermostat with a wireless sensor.
I've heard Honeywell and ecobee.
Does anyone have experience with these or another brand to recommend?
Thank you!

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    One question, what is your goal with the remote sensor?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • bipbap
    To keep the main wall panel in my apt and the sensor two floors up in tenants apt which is usually a bit colder, to make sure they get adequate heat.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Just so you understand it's not going to change the differential between the 2. So if they are 5 degrees cooler they will continue to be 5 degrees cooler. The thermostat will just average between the 2 and run the system accordingly. So to get them warmer you will be warmer.

It sound like you have a balance problem that needs to be addressed. That would be a better investment of your time and money than buying an expensive thermostat, IMHO.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Some thermostats can control to a remote without averaging. Honeywell comes to mind. IIRC you can associate around 4 remotes & average them, with or without adding the main sensor.
    But as KC_Jones said, the difference between the two spaces will still exist. A remote well be similar, but not identical to, turning your stat up by the difference between the two space temps. You might try that first, to see if your space remains comfortable.
  • bipbap
    I hear you.
    I know the ecobee can use just the remote sensor instead.
    But I get the point that it won't fix the underlying issue.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Honeywell Visionpro. User adjustable cycle rates and intelligent recovery. Will accept and outdoor sensor as well. The 4 stage version would allow dual fuel operation with a heat pump for mile weather or at least a outdoor disable temperature.

I actually have one I'd be willing to sell with 2 remote sensors and the wireless gateway for remote monitoring. You can average the 2 sensors or all 3. Only catch, is that you need a common from the transformer to power it for the sensors to work. PM me if interested. Will sell it for 40% of retail price to be fair. Was used on a furnace for 1 year then on my boiler the last 6 months.

It's single stage, 1 H/C.

I replaced it with Lennox S30's on relays on when I added central AC/heat pumps this summer. Honestly, everyone with a steam boiler should have a heat pump for mild weather. Much more even heat and easier to control above 45F. Plus much lower energy cost.
  • jch1
    jch1 Member Posts: 200
    My ecobee's been great. I have a remote sensor in my child's nursery, which is one of the farthest runs in my house, and the main unit is downstairs in the living room. At night, I have it programmed to only use the remote sensor for reading, to ensure that the temperature in his room is comfortable.

I understand that this may create issues with other rooms overheating, which is why I have installed TRVs in the important rooms (i.e., my bedroom) to ensure our room is comfortable (we have two rads in there, each with a shorter run than the nursery).