Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

suggestions for B&G replacement

ratio
ratio Member Posts: 3,616
Well, the PD-35 serving the radiant floor at my church finally failed. (Impeller bound up, & the motor ground the other half of the spider to dust. Seriously. No pieces left. ****?) Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade the pump to something newer. It's a PD-35S, on 3" flanges bushed down to 2½, CI w/ODR, manually balanced bypass on the radiant loop

A plan of mine is to convert this to constant circulation with injection. Like most of my plans, I doubt it'll come to fruition, but one never knows.

To add insult to injury, the 2" B&G pump that serves the convectors just picked up a squeak as well. :(

So, is there anything in particular I should look at? I'm more concerned with longevity than efficiency, but I expect anything I can get nowadays well be cheaper to operate.

daveamir

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I replaced the same pump in a school with Taco Viridian 15.
    Amp draw went from 5.85 down to 3.85.

For the school it has constant circulation when below 45.
    Boiler has old school reset control.

Do a search on this site for the Taco Viridian, it has some reviews, so to speak.

But many would recommend a mag strainer for any ECM/wet rotor motor you would use. I see you have some iron pipe there.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Take a look a the Wilo Stratos. It does literally save 80% on energy. Not much more in cost than the circ you now have.

I will second the caution about using a dirt separator with any ECM pump.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Wilo-2163592-Stratos-1-5-x-3-40-1-Phase-High-Efficiency-Circulator-1-2-HP

Taco Varidian and Grundfos Magna are other options.

I'd also recommend that you investigate how many btus, gpm that you actually need. The current pump may be over-sized.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    I love the Stratos, it has a lot of features, a very versatile pump.

I will third the dirt and especially a mag separator if you want to use one though. Learned that lesson the hard way.....
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Thanks for the input. I've seen first-hand what comes out the bottom of a mag separator, wouldn't consider an ECM pump without one.

Unfortunately, I can't afford the rework to install one along with the new pump, looks like we'll be staying with a PD35. I can get the whole pump for the same cost as the bearing assy and motor, and I know I'll get at least a few decades out of it.