Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

shutoff valve for gas fireplace

donwal
donwal Member Posts: 1
Hello,

We are selling a house with a gas fireplace. there IS a shutoff valve for the fireplace about 20 feet from the actual fireplace. Buyers had the house inspected and are asking for a shutoff valve to be installed. I asked the realtor if they found the one 20 feet away (in a utility room), he wasn't sure. He is thinking there may be code requiring it to be closer to the actual fireplace. Is there such a code? If not, I'll just point out where the shutoff valve is.

Thank You

Comments

• Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    A Google search says the irc calls for within 6 feet of the appliance
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    edited November 2017
    It's possible your local inspector looked over it

It's also possible you are on a different code than the irc. You could always call your building Dept and find out. But that can also open a can of worms if there was never a permit for it
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,100
    Sometimes, if you really want to sell and the price is right, the easiest thing to do is to say OK and just install the valve...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,068
    20' is not code. Shut off must be closer than that. Check with local inspector or if you don't want to tip him off call a fireplace installer to find out what's required in your area
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    The valve can be further away if it is identified as for the fireplace
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,632
    National Fuel gas code states the shut off must be within 6 feet of the appliance. All the fireplace inserts or unvented appliances I have installed I always put a shut off as close to the equipment as possible with easy access in the event of an emergency.
    Henry