Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect circulator pump sizing, too much a bad thing?

I have a 110k Peerless boiler. It has a superstor indirect maybe 10 feet away. The pipe only goes up about 5 feet at most. I am installing a new circulator and the original was just grabbed from the installers box. If you were doing this new what would you use. The current one is a 3 speed and I was going to get a Taco ECM 007 pump but I am thinking this is too much flow and maybe is bad for the system but not quite sue if that's the case.

I am wondering what you would put in for this basic install if you were doing it.

Thank you kindly

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,068
    edited November 2017
    What is the rating on the indirect? The boiler can't support anything over 10 gpm. What size tappings on the indirect?

Without any information to go on I would run 1" copper for the boiler side of the indirect and 8gpm for the circulator. You will probably get better heat transfer if you don't over pump the indirect
  • cwilliams2000
    cwilliams2000 Member Posts: 140
    Hi thank you. The piping in place is 1"
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    edited November 2017
    What model is the boiler? What Model Superstore? Is the Indirect piped direct or primary/secondary?
    One question is the flow, the other is the resistance. That will depend on the models.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • cwilliams2000
    The boiler is a WBV04 and the superstor is a SSU60. I have two circulators. One is for the house baseboard heat and the other is just for the Superstor. Hopefully I was able to answer what you asked. Thank you
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    It sounds like you have a grundfos 15-58 on it now?
    Either the grundfos on speed 2 or the taco 007 ECM would be appropriate.
    Pay attention to the boiler return temps as the call for DHW is finishing. You want the temp to be above 140 to prevent boiler condensation.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    that pump will be fine on your indirect, its a very good pump
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    SSU 60 can go to 10GPM at 7.9 Ft head.
  • cwilliams2000
    Sounds like on my 3 speed I should definitely have been on low speed then. The head is really like 4-5 feet and the distance is only like 20 feet of total piping.
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 353
    Your DHW circuit has a flow check or is it in the circulator?
  • cwilliams2000
    edited November 2017
    Yes, I believe its called IFC in the circulator
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
    Speed 2 on the 15-58 would give you the best preferment at 5' head, you get 10 gpm, about what the boiler can keep up with.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • cwilliams2000
    edited November 2017
    Thanks Bob. Thats funny I was just watching one of your videos on the caleffi auto fill valves and back flow preventers. Thanks for that too!
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 567
    @cwilliams2000 The SSU60 tank requires 10 gpm and has a pressure drop of 7.9' of head. Add the piping pressure drop and you are more around 9' of head.

So your circ spec needed is 10 gpm at 9'. If using a three speed you will want it at HI speed. The 007e falls just a bit under what you need.

However one other thing in regards to that 60 gallon tank, in order to get everything you want out of it, you would need a 174,000 BTU boiler!

Consider using a mixing valve to boost performance of the tank, store at 145F, deliver 115F.

Dave H.
    Dave H
    Rich_49