Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing pipe

I need to replace the 2 1/2 inch pipe on my 1 pipe system of my 90 year old 2 story home. Can I replace it with 2 inch pipe without creating problems?

Comments

• Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    edited November 2017
    Without seeing the system I can’t really comment however if it’s in the middle of the steam main you cannot downsize as you will create a reservoir of condensate behind it that will hammer. Yes most people including plumbers do not have threading equipment to thread 2-1/2 pipe. My suggestion keep it 2-1/2 and find a contractor that’s capable of doing this kind of work.

Also 3.5 PSI is excessive for residential steam heating boilers, the pressure should be set no higher then 1.5 PSI.

Your boiler seems like it might be oversized, at 375 sq ft your 8 radiators would have to be close to 50 EDR each to use a boiler that large.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • Why not just replace with 2-1/2" and do it right?
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    MilanD
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    No.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,998
    I actually looked up the pipe sizing in LAOSH. At 375 sq ft which is your boiler rating 2" pipe is ok.

But caution: if you keep any of the 2 1/2" pipe and connect it to the new 2" you must reduce with eccentric reducers. Do not use concentric reducers.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,986
    I hope the diagram of the piping in the vicinity of the boiler is incomplete...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • bigotom
    bigotom Member Posts: 5
    Thank you very much for all of the advice.
    I would not not be leaving any of the 2 1/2" pipe. the reason I want to change the size of the pipe is I can replace it with 2" for $700.00 to redo with 2 1/2 it's $6,400.00. I'm retired but can do it myself, can't find anyone who threads 2 1/2" pipe
    MilanD
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    Why are you redoing all the piping?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • bigotom
    !00 leaks
  • bigotom
    rusted out 90 year old pipe
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    If these are steam mains I suggest you figure out why they rusted through and are leaking. It's not unheard of, but it is unusual for steam mains to corrode to the point of leaking.

Could be wet steam or water laying in the pipes or a combination of the 2.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    dennis53
  • bigotom
    Must be wet steam from old system, pipes seem to have good pitch.
    Newly installed boiler, installer redid plumbing at boiler and heat and efficiency much better