Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No heat

Options
owl
owl Member Posts: 5
I finally turned the boiler on last night we have two zones. Yet no heat in either zone. Checking the pipes near the boiler. The pipe before the motor is hot but not afterwards. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Comments

• delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    can you tell if the motor is running? post some pics of the boiler and the pump/s. Is the boiler firing? My guess is you have a bad pump, though there a lot of other things that could be wrong too...
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Motor? I presume you mean a circulating pump? Do you have a way of checking if power is getting to that pump when the thermostat is calling?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • owl
    Options
    yes the circulating pump is getting power it feels hot. The boiler fires up and the damper opens.
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,137
    Options
    Is the circulator giving off a quiet hum when you raise the temperature setting??
    I
    t sounds as if the hydronic system is air locked preventing the circulator to push the water through your system.

I have had an airlock stop the water from flowing and I used the bleeder key at the highest point in the system to vent the air lock and as you vent the air you will feel and see a huge rush of hot water come through the pipe.
  • owl
    Options
    Yes the circulator is humming and hot to the touch. Pipe after it is getting lightly warm but then rest are all cold to the touch.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Do you have zone valves and are they open?
    Some have a small lever to open manually.
    Pictures would help.
  • owl
    Options
    yes two zone vales and they are open pipe between valves and circulator is cold.
  • owl
    Options

• JUGHNE
    Options
    Can you back up so all piping is shown?
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    What's your pressure gauge telling you?
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    If it's the first time running, are you sure you have enough water in the boiler and system, and purged of all air? The air scoop isn't doing much to eliminate air.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• JUGHNE
    Options
    The screwdriver stethoscope will tell you a lot.
    Blade of screwdriver against pipe or pump. Handle stuck into your ear. Water moving sounds like steady rush/flow. Air in pump will be churning/bubbling sound. Only a hum sound sounds like a stuck pump with motor humming.
    If stuck maybe switch on and off a couple time it might go.
    Those little pumps get locked up over the summer.
    That brand used to put a nickel sized plug in the end you could take out and turn the shaft with a screwdriver and assure that water would drip out meaning the rotor was wet and then it would start.
    I have a couple I have to do that every year.

(Why did they not keep the plug there????)
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Looks like a fairly new install. Maybe a Buderus. May be low on water from the look of the air bleed. Check the pressure gauge.
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,137
    Options
    I was wondering if you found the issue you had at start up and was it trapped air above the boiler??