Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Setting up individual thermostat on zone valves?

Options
topper
topper Member Posts: 2
Is it possible to set up individual thermostats on zone valves? I'm not even sure how to exactly describe what I have in mind. Basically, I have a room rented out and want to remove the thermostat in the room and install in the basement where the zone pipes/valves are so that I can set the thermostat and not allow access to it. I have a 7-zone hot water baseboard heating system. I see that each of the 7 zones has a valve-like thing that works off the thermostat to turn on/off as the program is set for. Can I hook up the thermostat somewhere here? If so, which wires do I need to connect to the thermostat? Do I just connect the two wires in the room when I take off the thermostat or should I just cap the wires individually?

Sorry in advance if I'm not making much sense. I'm totally not a handy guy so I'm not sure I'm even referring to the part-name (valve?) correctly. Thanks for your understanding.

Comments

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    You need a way of remotely sensing the temp 9f the room you are controlling. Or I'd suggest a lockable thermostat.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    topper
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Most of the electronic thermostats allow you to impose temperature limits. It would require a password to adjust beyond your preset parameters

Wifi stats like Ecobee allow you to monitor and adjust

Pretty easy to "fool" a wall mounted stat, drape a damp cloth over it for example. Or place a lamp near it to force AC

Even with sensors instead of wall stats the can be hacked
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    topper
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Options
    The Honeywell VisionPro 8000 series can work with a remote temperature sensor. So you put the sensor in the apartment and the thermostat wherever you like. I've used with great success. But sometimes (in this day and age) people can get paranoid and think the temperature sensor is a camera or listening device and rip it out!
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Solid_Fuel_Mantopper
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    I will also vouch for the VisionPro8000 series. I use them everywhere.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • topper
    topper Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you. You guys are brilliant!

Solid_Fuel - you are so right! I didn't think about the sensor in the room! I guess so much for that idea.

Hot rod - it sounds like the "wall mounted stat" that you mention is the lock box cover type of thing. Thanks for letting me know how people can get around that too! ;)

Thanks for the suggestions on VisionPro but reading some reviews it sounds pretty complicated especially something about needing a 5th line for the WiFI link and going through the setup etc. Phew!

Anybody recommend or have experience with the landlord thermostats? I was almost going to order them but than ran into reviews where they break down pretty quickly (about a year average).

It may be that I need to go with the old fashion lock box cover. I've tried to avoid it as it just seems "unfriendly" and I have to screw all holes in the wall.

Thanks again everyone! You guys rock.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Accustat used to make a non adjustable make and break unit using a mercury bulb. You pick the bulb for the temp you want. They were used in office space so people couldn't keep playing with a thermostat.
    Obviously no mercury anymore but maybe they offer something similar. Bimetal?
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    If you're willing to do a little work, you can use cheap $20 digital stats....

Get a digital T-Stat, open it up, remove it's thermistor, run a cat 5 wire from where you want the T-Stat (basement, etc) and where you want the remote sensor (room you want to control).
    Place the thermistor in old style wall mount phone jack box (drill some air holes in the underside) and connect it via Cat 5 twisted pair to the thermostat printed circuit board.
    It works, I've used this exact setup when I had tenants.

FYI- most t-stats use 10K or 5K thermistors, if you don't want to use the one you pulled from the T-Stat (due to short leads, etc...) check it's value with an ohm meter (at room temp) and purchase replacement with a decent lead on ebay or amazon.

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,630
    Options
    The Honeywell TH8110 isn't very hard to program, just don't change anything that you don't recognize and it'll Just Work. They can accept a wired or wireless remote sensor, and with the REDLink gateway they can be connected to the internets pretty easily. Relocate the thermostat to the basement (sounds like that's a secure area), & reuse the existing wires for a wired sensor. Getting the common wire will be easy at that point.