Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

to keep steam or convert

Options
2»

Comments

• gschallert
    gschallert Member Posts: 170
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

It sounds like your complaints were more about really old equipment than about the type of system. Had you installed all new valves, vents and a properly sized steam boiler all of your problems would've gone away aside from paint.

LOL, gee you'd think from your comment that you lived there for 12 years and not me. I love it when some people think they know more about someone else's personal experience than the person who lived it.

Bottom line: "high maintenance" for me means just what I said, it takes too much of my time and attention to make sure everything's working and maintained. Love my hot water baseboard and will never buy a home heated with steam again. OP asked for opinions and I gave mine, I'd be a nice change if others would learn to respect that personal opinions or experiences aren't something to be "proven" wrong.

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    edited August 2017
    Options

ChrisJ said:

It sounds like your complaints were more about really old equipment than about the type of system. Had you installed all new valves, vents and a properly sized steam boiler all of your problems would've gone away aside from paint.

LOL, gee you'd think from your comment that you lived there for 12 years and not me. I love it when some people think they know more about someone else's personal experience than the person who lived it.

Bottom line: "high maintenance" for me means just what I said, it takes too much of my time and attention to make sure everything's working and maintained. Love my hot water baseboard and will never buy a home heated with steam again. OP asked for opinions and I gave mine, I'd be a nice change if others would learn to respect that personal opinions or experiences aren't something to be "proven" wrong.

No,
    I've lived with my own steam system and what I have to do with it. Same with @Jamie Hall and @KC_Jones

Our systems need very little attention, often none at all.

I really don't have to live with your specific system in your house to know what a steam system needs, do I? It's pretty much universal. I also don't need to know about your personal experience to know what a properly maintained and updated steam system needs.

I never said what you experienced wasn't true.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    Keep the steam
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • liamnyc99
    liamnyc99 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    It's been awhile now and time for an update. I did in fact end up keeping the steam. I raised the main supply pipe, moved the radiators as needed and re piped all of the risers. Did all of the work myself, hand threaded the pipe with an adjustable die i borrowed from a friend. The heats been on now for about a month and after working out allot of kinks. The system is working grate. I'm getting ready to skim the boiler for the second and what should be the last time. I wanted to know if you guys recommend adding anything to the water and also what ph levels are acceptable?
    There is a automatic water filler that was installed with the boiler but no meter to keep track of the water make up any recommendations on witch one to add?

Thank you
    liam
    RomanGK_26986764589ChrisJ
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Thanks for the update! Much appreciated. There are varying opinions on adding things to the boiler water. Some folks like Steamaster tablets. Myself, I don't add anything at all -- but I have pretty good water to begin with. pH slightly on the high side of 7 is good -- but again, not all that critical except that you don't want it too high (much over 8) or too low (much under say 5.5).

I like the VXT feeders with a built in meter... they aren't cheap.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • liamnyc99
    Options
    thank you. the water here is also quite good i will need to test it but if I'm in that range would i be best off adding nothing? The radiators/convectors are old and the water is filled with rust. witch I'm shore is normal just putting it out there
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    I read the entire post and the only thing I can say for sure is the home owner will still be living in that house after the 4 or 5 year mark. If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans. Other then that I concur with everybody.
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    You can add this meter to the water feed line for a simple way to track water use. It is in m3. To me, not an issue.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01CZEMMBI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_tKFhAbWFNT7FJ

You'll need 2 female npt adapters on the ends to thread it in. Sharkbites make for an easy and quick install.
  • liamnyc99
    Options
    cool thank you thats allot simpler ten i hide in mind