Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Books, Books and more Books!

Options
fusionman
fusionman Member Posts: 4
Hi guys, I love to read and i think I've got every one of Dan's books already in my library. In his book "What hydronics Taught Holohan" he says that he reads hundreds of books every year, and in that spirit I'd love to know what your thoughts are on the must reads of hydronics and steam.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
    Options
    LOL, Holohan, Holohan and Holohan. I don't have them all but do have most.

Not hydronics but I have a copy of "Copeland Refrigeration Manual" which is available on line. 5 or 6 little books, easy to read (a little outdated) but excellent for explaining refrigeration.

OLD Ashrae books mid 60s and earlier are the best and have a lot of information especially on hydronics and steam.

DuPont refrigeration manual (available on line)

American Electricians Handbook (McGraw Hill)
    newagedawnfusionman
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    I sometimes google u s military training books, there well written
    fusionman
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Dr. Seuss got his start writing military training manuals. Seriously.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Two textbooks that Siggy wrote should be included in your library.
    www.hydronicpros.com

Also a selection of Idronics technical journals.

https://www.caleffi.com/usa/en-us/technical-magazine

The Amtrol Engineering Handbook is another must have.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    fusionmanPaul S_3
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,489
    Options
    Zman Thanks for the shoutout! I appreciate it
    Ray
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    Liking old books, I'll add anything by Frederick Dye and there are lots of Audels books, like their Plumber's and Steamfitter's Guides. A good place for old books is www.addall.com.

Yours, Larry
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Dr. Seuss got his start writing military training manuals. Seriously.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    I've always read about a hundred books a year. The exception has been since I retired and started writing these novels. I can't read others when I'm writing those. I'm too deep into the characters I'm watching. Novel writing is a VERY different experience from technical writing. It's like watching a movie and keeping a journal of what I'm seeing. It's a very strange feeling.
    Retired and loving it.
    EzzyTfusionman
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,259
    Options
    Actually read my old ASHRAE handbooks from the sixties. Wish I still had them. But I learned the most from re-reading Holohan's articles and LostArt. Steam goes from high pressure to low. Always. Yes we all know that. But a dummy like me didn't grock that until I re-read LostArt for umpteenth time.

ITT manuals,especially the DomesticPump one,taught me a lot. Although in some ways manufacturers literature is often wrong in the interest of selling stuff.

In my opinion what's written about HHW & CWC is largely incorrect or at least impractical. Beginning with Hansen's bible. Says designer should have idea what pressure & flow is everywhere all the time. Just try it.