Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sears homes

Options
2»

Comments

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Gordy said:

Radio shack was the go to for sure. Now they have met their maker.....

AKA Sears....loved radio shack,and sears as well....
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Getting information on how to "do anything" was very slow, often impossible pre-internet. I don't know how people managed. I guess often things just didn't happen.

Take a look at 1940's and 1950's editions of Popular Mechanics and Popular Science magazines. They were literally chock full of new and interesting projects to build every month.

https://books.google.com/books/serial/ISSN:00324558?rview=1&lr=&sa=N&start=810

https://books.google.com/books/about/Popular_Science.html?id=SScDAAAAMBAJ

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    So much respect for the "old timers". I think I worked hard all my life but compared to them........Not so much. Nope, we owe them so much. For them it really was about survival.

Sorry to say mechanically the younger generation...can't do it. Too busy playing on there phones or computers.

I just changed a bicycle tire for my GFs daughter. First did that when I was probably 8 years old. The daughters boyfriend is 32 couldn't do it.

The thing that amazes me is the buildings, roads, bridges they built that are still standing and how they did it without the tools and machinery we have available
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Different mindsets. Some could care less if they know how to change a bicycle tire. They also would not be insulted by the fact of how simple it is, and they can't, or choose not to do it.

Others it's the challenge of doing something they have never done before, and mastering the task. A sense of achievement. An artisan type of person.
    Canucker
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    I'm 36 and not only can I change a tubed tire I know how to seat a bead.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    I've changed a car tire....manually and seated the bead.
    Bike tires, that's cute.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Gordy
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Why must be disrespect current generations in order to show respect to previous ones?

I have a huge amount of respect for those who lived before toilet paper, indoor plumbing and fans.

I have huge respect for those that fought in previous wars.

That doesn't mean I look down on those who have been pampered by having a toilet.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Gordy
    Options
    There is the same mind set across all generations Chris. I'm not dissing any one generation.

However it has a lot to do with what most kids do in different eras/generations. For example when I was a kid we didn't have computer games. Play grounds, fishing, hunting, Erector sets, train sets, race car track sets, chemistry sets, model rockets,planes,cars. Cox cars, planes. Balsa wood rubber band powered planes. All stuff you had to read directions, and assemble. That all came after chores. All stuff that developed cognitive thinking. The hands, and the mind become a unit.

Now days you look around neighborhoods you don't see much outdoor activity. In my day you had to beat us inside to eat, and sleep even in the winter time. I just don't see that activity I enjoyed as a kid. They do it all on the computer, or T.V.

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    I think every generation would say that the generation following theirs was lazier, or felt more entitled. You have to wonder where it will wind up. Will our young, forget what it means to be American? Will they refuse to stand for the National Anthem? Will they put on masks, and protest(riot) our government, even though they don't participate? They are everything that we have made them. We stopped teaching them what it meant to be American. There are exceptions, as there is in every case.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Every time my kids ask for a new Xbox game, or some gaming program, I tell them "go climb the oak in the backyard, then we'll talk."
    My family is fortunate to live on a dead end with a ton of kids, so they do get out. Roller hockey, basketball, man hunter at night. But the electronics is their heroin.
    Gordy
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    Paul48 said:

I think every generation would say that the generation following theirs was lazier, or felt more entitled. You have to wonder where it will wind up. Will our young, forget what it means to be American? Will they refuse to stand for the National Anthem? Will they put on masks, and protest(riot) our government, even though they don't participate? They are everything that we have made them. We stopped teaching them what it meant to be American. There are exceptions, as there is in every case.

Just because something is said doesn't make it true. I can say the world is flat, but it won't make it true.

It was mentioned, defending a generation. I don't feel the need to defend my generation except for when people make false claims about me or the people around me. I have seen a lot of accusations about laziness on this thread and I honestly resent the attacks against me. Remember when you make sweeping generalizations like that you are attacking everyone, that includes me and Chris to name a few.

A person sees one or 2 or more lazy people and then condemns an entire generation based on that. That is naive.

My grandfather is 94 years old, he was part of WWII, he is an extremely talented engineer and just as sharp today as he has ever been. I love him, he is one of my hero's. If I used him as a thermometer for how "hard working" his generation is I would say there has been no change in work ethic all the way through today's generation. If you ask him he will tell you that, I have asked.

My father grew up dirt poor, subsidized housing welfare you name it. He built projects, nothing bought. He scrounged the trash for materials and tools, he had a "special rock" as a hammer. If I use that as a thermometer for hard work I would say anyone with tools and a penny was born with a silver spoon and lazy. I don't think that and neither does he.

I don't condemn anyone, I also don't use my personal thermometer for hard work to judge how hard working others are. I can change a bike tire and someone else can't. That person maybe engineered a switch on the space shuttle for all I know, I can't do that and I won't try. Doesn't make either one of us lazy, it just makes us different and different is what makes this country so great. When we start criticizing different we are destroying the very foundation of what this country is and making it worse.

Question, did you teach him how to change the tire? Give a man a fish or teach a man to fish applies to all aspects of life.

If one sees a problem in the world and all they do is complain about it they are perpetuating the problem not helping it. I work with my community, my family takes walks to pick up trash, I volunteer at the school, treasurer of the PTO attend board meetings. I am out there in the thick doing my part. By my thermometer anyone who isn't doing that is lazy. I don't actually feel that way, but using the methods expressed in this thread that's how I would view it.

I love this site, I enjoy the threads and free exchange of information. It has been a fantastic learning tool for many, including myself. I tire of threads that turn into generational attacks as this one has. I feel it lowers the standards of this site and what it represents, it can also be a huge turn off to people stopping in. I have made friends here and feel like I have a little bit of home in this group and I like that.

My intention with this post was not to offend anyone, but to possibly give some perspective on the comments that have been made.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Larry WeingartenCanucker
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    “The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

Socrates
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
    ratioMilanD
  • Gordy
    Options

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

Socrates

Like I said. Henceforth.......

• Paul48
    Options
    The only generalization was that all generations have the same beliefs. There is no reason to go to ridiculous extremes. There is no need to try and demonize me, if you disagree with me. Nothing I said was directed at any individual.
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    Options
    j a said:

I was/and still am a licensed aircraft mechanic..as well as hold my avionics FCC license...I dispise the airlines...and refuse to ever fly again...

I am an engineer retired from Boeing. I share your disdain for airlines and, except when under extreme spousal duress (like travel somewhere we can't drive, such as overseas), also refuse to engage in airline flying.

It's important to consider why things have gone in the direction many of this thread's posts complain about. Blame should be laid on what I call "the worstest generation," namely, mine: boomers. We, the "me" generation, wanted -- and still want -- it all, and we want it now. Thus, airline deregulation, low fares, trashed employees, multiple bankruptcies, cattle car flying busses and charges for carry-on bags. In the words of Mark Eatherton, one doesn't always get what one pays for, but one never gets what one doesn't pay for. The same principle applies to consumer goods, homes and comfort systems. Price shopping as the ultimate criterion resulted in the Walmartification of everything. Having children without investing parenting effort followed a similar path.

If Gen-Xers and Millennials are less than perfect, it's for the most part because of boomers. These are certainly sweeping generalizations with numerous exceptions, but I stand by the top-level conclusion.

• ChrisJ
    Options

j a said:

I was/and still am a licensed aircraft mechanic..as well as hold my avionics FCC license...I dispise the airlines...and refuse to ever fly again...

I am an engineer retired from Boeing. I share your disdain for airlines and, except when under extreme spousal duress (like travel somewhere we can't drive, such as overseas), also refuse to engage in airline flying.

It's important to consider why things have gone in the direction many of this thread's posts complain about. Blame should be laid on what I call "the worstest generation," namely, mine: boomers. We, the "me" generation, wanted -- and still want -- it all, and we want it now. Thus, airline deregulation, low fares, trashed employees, multiple bankruptcies, cattle car flying busses and charges for carry-on bags. In the words of Mark Eatherton, one doesn't always get what one pays for, but one never gets what one doesn't pay for. The same principle applies to consumer goods, homes and comfort systems. Price shopping as the ultimate criterion resulted in the Walmartification of everything. Having children without investing parenting effort followed a similar path.

If Gen-Xers and Millennials are less than perfect, it's for the most part because of boomers. These are certainly sweeping generalizations with numerous exceptions, but I stand by the top-level conclusion.

EXACTLY!
    MilanD
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    I think this thread took a wrong turn somewhere.
    How about those old Sears homes? They were something huh?
    GordyCanucker
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    I apologize for my last posting that may have caused the left turn off the track.....not the content of it but where it went.
    The lack of skills of todays people does not apply to any who frequents this site and their circle of workers and friends, regardless of their age.

I am sure that those dollar a day ditch diggers looked at my young boomers age group and had the same comments of lack of ambition and skills.
    I would not have had their job if I could possibly avoid it at all. Just hearing about it would inspire most to learn some trade.

Yes, those houses were something!
  • Gordy
    Options
    @JUGHNE It's flowing conversation that's all.
    JUGHNE
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    Hello, Gotta say that I really like what KC Jones said. I'm from a different generation, but agree completely as this transcends generational differences. I don't like being shoved into a cubbyhole and imagine nobody else does either.... yet we continue doing so. Suppose it saves the need for thinking.

Anyway, good post and I hope factory built housing makes a great comeback as stick built really is a relic of the bad old days. ;)

Yours, Larry
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,287
    Options
    The high fidelity music system in the place I care for is centred around a Dynakit preamp and amplifier pair I built... in 1972. They still work fine. Also built a few others (including a big Harman-Kardon tube amp, which my son just resurrected -- you are right, some parts are just about impossible to get), and a TV set, and whatever. And a barn, house, garage... do my own mechanic work on the tractors. I ain't dead yet! And fortunately my daughter (!) seems to have inherited both the interest -- and the ability. It's just what you want to do.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ChrisJDave in QCA
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    ^ It's good you're encouraging your daughter Jamie!

Both of my girls also had much interest in mechanical/electrical things at a young age. By the time they were 7 or 8 yrs old I taught them both to solder... and they loved it. We made LED Xmas trees, Pumpkins, clocks, AM and finally AM/FM radios. I also got them both new gaming computers two Xmas ago... I bought all the component parts (MB/CPU/RAM, PSU, etc..)... they had to assemble everything and install the OS.

When choosing an elective in 10th grade (IIRC) I suggested to one of them to take Electrical Shop because it would be an easy "A" grade wise. She had 21 kids in that class... 20 boys and my daughter. When it came time to build things... only one kid in the class of 21 knew how to solder! I was very proud of her....
    She's presently a Material Science major (specializing in Nano-Technology) in college entering her senior year this fall.
    ChrisJDave in QCAMilanD
  • ChrisJ
    Options

The high fidelity music system in the place I care for is centred around a Dynakit preamp and amplifier pair I built... in 1972. They still work fine. Also built a few others (including a big Harman-Kardon tube amp, which my son just resurrected -- you are right, some parts are just about impossible to get), and a TV set, and whatever. And a barn, house, garage... do my own mechanic work on the tractors. I ain't dead yet! And fortunately my daughter (!) seems to have inherited both the interest -- and the ability. It's just what you want to do.

Those Dynakit's are about 20 years overdue for new capacitors. You may think they "work fine" but in reality if you put them on a test bench their performance is awful, I guarantee it. I'd replace all caps aside from the ceramics and even those I'd be suspicious of.

When it comes to my boys, the one thing I never want to do is limit their learning. Whatever toys they want, or anything they even take apart, have at it as long as they're learning. Legos, tinker toys, model cars etc. My oldest is 3, so he's just getting started on building, but he's really good at puzzles.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I gave my great nephew and electronics lab for Christmas (can't recall the name) and from what I've heard he enjoys the hell out of it. His dad has caught him eyeballing the TV and warned him of dire consequences if he screws with it.

It's a shame he's a thousand miles away I'd love to sit with him and watch him going through the experiments.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    MilanD
  • Paul48
    Options
    @BobC
    Hmmmm..........So it's not a simple name, like Mike or John? :smile:
    Dave in QCAChrisJ
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

...When it comes to my boys, the one thing I never want to do is limit their learning. Whatever toys they want, or anything they even take apart, have at it as long as they're learning...

One thing I regret not asking my father before losing him was where he got that endless stream of pocket watches I took apart (but never managed to put back together) as a very small child. :)

ChrisJMilanD
  • j a_2
    Options

ChrisJ said:

...When it comes to my boys, the one thing I never want to do is limit their learning. Whatever toys they want, or anything they even take apart, have at it as long as they're learning...

One thing I regret not asking my father before losing him was where he got that endless stream of pocket watches I took apart (but never managed to put back together) as a very small child. :)

That's classic, kinda think I may have been guilty of the same thing....
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    I'm still reminded of how I cut up my dad's brand new $500 pool filter with a hacksaw blade when I was 4 years old.

He pulled the "head" off of it when he closed the pool in the winter, and I thought cutting across the threads in the fiberglass tank would improve it. Honest, that was what I thought at the time.

I'm still reminded of it every holiday and often other times, even 33 years later.

He got it to work, he siliconed it on using blue RTV and it never leaked. After he fought with it for hours and the tube going down to the bottom came loose and blew all of the sand into the pool he just cleaned out.........that was bad. That was real bad........
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Chris..... what I take away from this story is that nothing has changed. You Still approach everything with ideas to make it better. I think you're success rate has improved.... thankfully!
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
    ChrisJ
  • BobC
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Today's Sunday Globe has a good story about the sears homes

http://realestate.boston.com/news/2017/07/27/when-sears-sold-the-american-dream/

I converted the article to a PDF in case you can't access the original story.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
    j a_2
  • Steamhead
    Steamhead Member Posts: 16,835
    Options
    MilanD said:

I have a 2-tube rad, similar to the one from the catalog -- spare in the basement, been there for a loooong time... kind of in a rough shape now...

That one was made by National Radiator Co, Johnstown, PA, before that company became a collection of smaller companies as National Radiator Corp.

Many of these rads looked alike enough that they'd resemble the catalog illustration, so Sears didn't have to update it if they changed suppliers.

Somewhere I have an old flue rad branded "Our Own" which may have been sold by Sears, but am not 100% sure of that.
    All Steamed Up, Inc.
    Towson, MD, USA
    Steam, Vapor & Hot-Water Heating Specialists
    Oil & Gas Burner Service
    Consulting
    Dave in QCAMilanD
  • Gordy
    Options
    Same story poor management. They could have been amazon with the right leadership, and forward thinking.

Amazon has a PE of 195, but Their growth supports such a high price to earnings ratio.
  • j a_2
    Options
    BobC said:

http://realestate.boston.com/news/2017/07/27/when-sears-sold-the-american-dream/

Bob

Wow Bob I just scanned thru that article, ill read it in detail this evening...great find and post...
  • BobC
    Options
    It was a different world back then, people saw a problem and came up with a solution. That was well before we were under the control of the legal profession.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
    j a_2
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    BobC said:

It was a different world back then, people saw a problem and came up with a solution. That was well before we were under the control of the legal profession.

Bob

What are you do commenting on here?
    All the action is in the boiler efficiency thread. :p
    MilanDGordy
  • j a_2
    Options
    BobC said:

Bob

Wow Bob I just scanned thru that article, ill read it in detail this evening...great find and post...
    ChrisJ said:

BobC said:

Bob

What?
  • j a_2
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

BobC said:

Bob

Bit confused on that comment.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    j a said:

ChrisJ said:

BobC said:

Bob

Bit confused on that comment.
    It was kind of an inside joke.
    There's a very heated thread on boiler efficiency that was going all day.
    MilanD
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Just think how confused the OP of that thread is by now.
    I get confused myself trying to read thru it.
  • j a_2
    Options
    Is that the thread about a wood stove replacing a gas boiler...If so I saw the pictures of the boiler, pretty much has my vote for sawzall practice, hope the wood stove don't need wiring or piping...