Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thanks, mfgr!

ratio
ratio Member Posts: 3,747

ChrisJ

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,126
    Looks good to me! :)

I'm pissed I bought YJ liquid filled gauges, supposed to be THE BEST analog gauges money can buy at $60 each. My highside gauge sticks, so it won't change if there's only a 25-50 PSI change.

It caused all kinds of problems for me, and I emailed Yellowjacket on Monday about it. Silence.

Ended up buying another gauge just so I can use my gauges.

I wanted the best, because I need tools I can trust. Instead, I got the complete opposite. Glad it says "MADE IN USA" on it, that made all the difference...........

Sorry for the rant.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ratio
    NP.
    I just picked up a cheap 22 manifold a few weeks back, they forgot to drill the yaller port out. That took some head scratching to figure out!
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    This is what happens when no one takes pride in their work.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    CanuckerSolid_Fuel_Man
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    @ratio Years ago the PO installed a series of upgrades to the flat sorting machines; these are 125 ft long and 32ft wide with hundreds of motors and miles of wire. Everything is connected by molex connectors.

About a month after they modifications were accepted we started having so weird problems pop up. 95% were because of molex pins being crimped on wires that weren't stripped. Some were caused by wires banjo strung hard enough that the molex pin backed out of the connector. Nothing like fishing through a bundle of wires and grabbing the live end of a 208v line but at least it wasn't a 480v line!

That is what you get when the number crunchers get to make quality decisions. I've been retired for 8 years and while I miss some of the guys I worked with I don't miss the stupidity that happens when people who don't know what they are doing decide to "fix' problems.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    There are a few fire truck subsystem manufacturers that LOVE to use molex stuff... usually on critical stuff like pump panel controls, aerial controls, etc....every new rig we get (about once every few years) it takes me about a solid week to go thru and replace them all with weatherpack pins and shells (GM automotive style connectors). Thank god they're finally getting away from it...terrible idea.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    I'll bet that the thread title is one letter off from what you were really thinking when you found that , lol.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• ratio
    Heh. This one only took me 15 min to find. Had a similar issue on a controller, I had power on the connector too when I probed the back side. That took me a lot longer. Also, it was 1½ hours from home.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,239
    You need to bill the manufacturer for the time. That is the only way this will start changing. If they just ignore you, like I have seen with most companies, then give it to a collection agency. We've all been dealing with this garbage for too long....they cut thier costs and then expect you to fix it in the field.
    We had this with Dunkirk many years ago ( last dunkirk product we put in) and they told us we should build in this cost into our overhead. The 40 to 50 hours of diagnosis time was more time than it took to install the boiler and then we came to find out thier were at least 2 problems...thier CSD-1 instructions were incorrect and they had defective components.
    It is the classic Wal mart method of profitability. They build thier big superstores ( actually they almost never build and own, only rent the space), then throw all the costs of road construction, traffic lights and fuel on the customer and local taxing authorities to get to the store.
    We had one about a year ago....split block boiler. Put boiler together and is was like a potato chip...the one corner of the boiler was about 1 1/2 inches in the air. The nipple ports were misaligned. The local supply house ( top notch) Got another block section out and we pulled apart the boiler and put the new half block in. Pressure tested and found a leak in the other block section and had to go over it all again. This ran up over $2000.00 in labor costs. WE sent the manufacturer the bill and they said to send it to the local rep. Local rep never paid it and refused to even take our calls. Manufacturer has been made aware of the situation twice, still no action. Peerless, who I believe still makes most of the best steam boilers, has now lost a chuck of thier business to the competition. There are still a lot of first rate supply houses here in Chicago, but they can only do so much.
    The best manufacturer I have found is still Slantfin. We had 2 improperly machined boilers and they owned up and paid up for removal and replacement. I only wish they had a full product line and any inventory here in Chicago with good reps.
    Its really sad. The forced air market has long reached the bottom, but the boiler market for a long time still was trying to achieve a higher level of quality. I've seen signs that the once best manufacturer's, such as Peerless, seem to be headed the down the same downward spiral.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,126

You need to bill the manufacturer for the time. That is the only way this will start changing. If they just ignore you, like I have seen with most companies, then give it to a collection agency. We've all been dealing with this garbage for too long....they cut thier costs and then expect you to fix it in the field.
    We had this with Dunkirk many years ago ( last dunkirk product we put in) and they told us we should build in this cost into our overhead. The 40 to 50 hours of diagnosis time was more time than it took to install the boiler and then we came to find out thier were at least 2 problems...thier CSD-1 instructions were incorrect and they had defective components.
    It is the classic Wal mart method of profitability. They build thier big superstores ( actually they almost never build and own, only rent the space), then throw all the costs of road construction, traffic lights and fuel on the customer and local taxing authorities to get to the store.
    We had one about a year ago....split block boiler. Put boiler together and is was like a potato chip...the one corner of the boiler was about 1 1/2 inches in the air. The nipple ports were misaligned. The local supply house ( top notch) Got another block section out and we pulled apart the boiler and put the new half block in. Pressure tested and found a leak in the other block section and had to go over it all again. This ran up over $2000.00 in labor costs. WE sent the manufacturer the bill and they said to send it to the local rep. Local rep never paid it and refused to even take our calls. Manufacturer has been made aware of the situation twice, still no action. Peerless, who I believe still makes most of the best steam boilers, has now lost a chuck of thier business to the competition. There are still a lot of first rate supply houses here in Chicago, but they can only do so much.
    The best manufacturer I have found is still Slantfin. We had 2 improperly machined boilers and they owned up and paid up for removal and replacement. I only wish they had a full product line and any inventory here in Chicago with good reps.
    Its really sad. The forced air market has long reached the bottom, but the boiler market for a long time still was trying to achieve a higher level of quality. I've seen signs that the once best manufacturer's, such as Peerless, seem to be headed the down the same downward spiral.

Perhaps this is true, but it's hard to see anymore/

My first experience ever with a boiler was a rotted Burnham V8. Burnham's feelings were your 10 year warranty doesn't mean anything.

It doesn't cover corrosion. What exactly does it cover? Pretty much nothing that may actually happen.

Even companies who make a so so product, but stand behind it will keep customers. Ones who make a mediocre product and then don't want anything to do with it just drives people away.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ratio
    Here's another one:

The problem is visible in this pic.