Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Repair a 15 years old furnace?

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
a 15 or older Janitrol. One tech claims it has a cracked HX the other claims it is fine.

Apparently their is a Janitrol HX replacement program that will cover the cost of the part. I suggest that the whole unit get replaced, take the home warranty buyout and apply it to the replacement.

For a family member trying to sell her house and weave through the home inspection checklists.
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,632
    I do not recommend repair or directly replace heat exchangers on any forced warm air furnace anymore it is counter productive based on cost and also labor.

Replace the furnace!
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Do you happen to know the procedure they used to confirm a cracked heat exchanger...15 years old is old enough to consider total replacement....A/S has pretty much a full warranty on heat exchangers, provided they were installed correctly....good luck
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Replace it. My first choice would not be Janitrol.
    Steve Minnich
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    I had cracked hx on Carrier Weathermaker 3 years ago. It was 19 years old unit at a time. Carrier had some lawsuit settlement on the bad 1st gen new materials hx that covered it. It is HE unit, vented via pvc. Techs took it on and suggested exchanging secondary hx while at it for a few hundred extra in parts. 3 techs worked it all day and it came under $800 in labor after Carrier covered 4 hours labor.

At this point, 3 winters later, no issues. We knew hx was cracked as we could smell the exhaust out of registers inside.

I'd say, for me it was worth doing the warranty dance.

On the other hand, for selling a house, I'd offer a few grand reduction in price to the buyer, and let the new owner sort it out.

Best of luck!
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,747
    15 years seems to be the median life for a forced air furnace in my area (Central Ohio). I'd certainly price new equip in addition to the HX. Keep in mind that R-22 isn't coming back, so the first significant repair on the cooling side (if present) might very well entail replacement.

@MilanD's suggestion of a rebate to the purchaser sounds like the simplest solution.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,199
    Would the existing warranty transfer to the new owner if nothing was done now?
    Also would any new warranty for different furnace install or repair transfer to new owner?
    The offer of new furnace allowance might sound attractive to new people. They may want something really high end and this it their chance (seemingly) to get a good deal with a reduction for the price of the house.
    I would say that this is contractor grade mid efficiency furnace. (could you say cheap?)
    If we fix it, that is all you will have and maybe without warranty.
    Some will be sold by a 1.5% AFUE increase and all the hype that goes with it. IMO
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
    Thanks for the advice, I'll guide her towards a total replacement instead of just a HX.

Of course the AC should be upgraded at the same time I suppose.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • JUGHNE
    Could be big bucks that can not be added to the house sale price?
    Some like a deal or bargain price.
    Some buyers like to feel that they got something extra by getting a lower price because of the HVAC allowance. FWIW
    MilanDCanuckerratio
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    get a smoke bomb to check heat exchanger
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 952
    Other than a warranty, never heard of any other program on Goodman heat exchangers. Those were cheap furnaces, I'd probably look at replacing even if they are selling. Shiny new furnace may help sell it.
  • JUGHNE
    A great looking front door/porch will go farther in selling a house than a new furnace will. IMO
    No one sees your furnace, but the front door makes a statement that you can convey to visitors, (and future home buyers), that this is an inviting place to live.

They would notice a new T-stat with a color screen more than an old builder grade furnace.

I would go for the furnace only allowance. Ac works and it would be their call to upgrade to 410A.
    Canucker
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Problem may lie in the fact that I know in some states the seller must disclose any known issues....to the prospective buyers...Certinaly not fair not to...