Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need advice

Options
Hi. We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel, and noticed the gas connector/line in the floor for our gas stove has a drip of dried paint in it. This gas line is turned off right now, of course, as the gas stove hasn't been installed yet. Contractor says it's not an issue and he'll scrape the paint out of the line before connecting. Does this sound right? Advice appreciated!

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Gas connectors aren't expensive and are NOT allowed by code to be re-used.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Standard practice is to cap the ends of gas, plumbing pipes and ducts to keep debris out during the rough in work. I wouldn't lose sleep over a drop of dried paint. Is this a new or existing gas line? If new, it should have definitely been capped to prep for a pressure test to check for leaks, as per code.
  • kitchenremodel
    kitchenremodel Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Good question. I believe it's the old gas line by the looks of it. They did move it slightly, so I will confirm in AM.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    My understanding is that you should never leave a gas pipe open even though the stop/valve is off. Someone could unknowingly turn it on. I cap any inside lines even if the service is not connected to the building.
    MilanD
  • kitchenremodel
    kitchenremodel Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Good to know, and makes sense. Also, I think I should clarify, it's the gas valve in the floor that some dried paint is on the inside. I think I said gas line, which maybe is the same thing. Either way assuming that should be capped?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    If the gas cock (valve) itself has been compromised, then it should be replaced. A very small expense for a lot of piece of mind.
    Make sure the contractor gets a valve rated for gas.
    MilanD