Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Non Oxygen Barrier Pex

AR1
AR1 Member Posts: 3
Hi all. We are installing a closed radiant system with a Burhnam K2 Boiler with a stainless steel heat exchanger. We installed 14 loops of Oxygen barrier pex in the slab foundation, and were just starting the staple up. the staple up also has have fourteen loops, and we installed two before we realized that the pex we had purchased for round two was non oxygen barrier. I plan to switch to exchange the remaining pex for Oxygen barrier pex, but wonder if I need to worry about my boiler, corrosion etc relative to the 2 installed loops, given that there 28 loops in the whole system. I would hate to rip it all down and do it again. Should I be ok?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    Bite the bullet and do it correctly now. It's not just the boiler, but every component (pumps, expansion tank, piping, etc) would have to be non ferrous. Not to mention the other issues that oxygenated water causes.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Yes change out the non oxygen barrier pex tubing that you just installed like Ironman said.
  • AR1
    Ugh. I was hoping to hear otherwise. Even just with two runs in 28?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    How many runs do you think would be unacceptable?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    How lucky do you feel?
    You could risk it but if there is problem in a couple years w corrosion you will need to eat it.
    You could add an inhibitor to the system but that's a yearly chore.
    Bite the bullet.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    AR1 said:

Ugh. I was hoping to hear otherwise. Even just with two runs in 28?

Yes,
    Rip it out. You will thank yourself later.
    Non O2 systems are much higher maintenance, especially staple up because concrete provides some isolation.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • AR1
    Looks like consensus is its a redo. Bummer. Thanks for the help gentlemen.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    It's a bummer however you won't be sorry. Especially since you were already on the right path for half of it. As been said by others the component upgrades, and system treatment would be a rigorous regime to avoid failures of components.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    I know with me, the hardest part is convincing myself that it is time to put it in reverse. Usually the solution is not that bad....
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Gordy