Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam boiler replacement for a Burnham V83

Hi folks,

I have the Burnham curse, and over the winter my 14 years young Burnham V83 steam boiler developed a leak about 2 inches below the top of the heat exchanger.

I'm now in the sad position of having to replace the system. This system also has a tankless coil for hot water, which has worked fine for us. Due to limitations in the chimney size, I can't add a separate hot water heater, and because this system should have lasted another 10 years at least, I am really not interested in breaking the bank by adding an indirect tank or direct vent hot water heater.

What gas-powered steam boilers still have tankless coil options for hot water and will work in a small, residential setup? The unit is only 1100 sq ft with 5 radiators, so most likely the smallest size available will be more than enough. We are going with gas, not oil. And obviously, something that isn't a Burnham would be preferred; I'm not exactly impressed with their workmanship or customer service around this well known problem.

Thank you.

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,966
    Weil Mclain and Slantfin make gas steamers with tankless coils
  • BrianStMarie
    BrianStMarie Member Posts: 24
    Great, thanks. Any idea what models? I've done some poking around, but I'm not seeing which models support tankless coils.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,966
    Think that all the WM's come with the tankless option
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    The very first thing you need to do is calculate the total EDR of those five radiators. Then you can select the properly sized boiler for your heating needs and find one that has the Hot water coil.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    For something that small in gas, you may want to look at the Peerless 63 series. About 15% heavier than the comparible WM EG boiler, so the castings are much beefier. I don't think it comes with a coil. You'd have to go to the EC series for that. However, it comes with tapping for an indirect.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • BrianStMarie
    BrianStMarie Member Posts: 24
    Received a quote for a WM EG-30 just now, with a tankless coil. The EDR for the unit is 139.5 so the EG-30 seems like it'll be more than enough (196 sq ft of steam).

How are the WM EG systems for reliability and longevity? I don't want to be replacing it in another 10 years!

Thank you all for the help.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,669

Received a quote for a WM EG-30 just now, with a tankless coil. The EDR for the unit is 139.5 so the EG-30 seems like it'll be more than enough (196 sq ft of steam).

How are the WM EG systems for reliability and longevity? I don't want to be replacing it in another 10 years!

Thank you all for the help.

When we bought our house in 2011 it had a rotted V83. The stuff I found showed the V83 rotted out once after 3 years, and then again after 5 years. Twice in 8 years.

I installed an EG-40 my self, fixed all of the leaks and run water treatment. I'm now on year 6 and the boiler shows no signs of age.

Fix the leaks.

Use water treatment, even contact Rhomar and have them test your water and recommend what to do.

And your boiler will last plenty long, likely even the V83 could have under those conditions.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    Longevity? Good question. I had one die in 4 years -- but it had wasn't that well installed. Cedric is going on for 10 with no known problems.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    My "original" WM EG series was 32 years old when it died. I had it for 12 of those years, I am hoping the new one lasts longer as I am doing better maintenance and using water treatment. Won't know for a while how that pans out.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    I'm a WM dealer and I can tell you I've pulled boilers out that we're 40 years old and some that we're as little as 18. It depends on water quality, maintinence, and the quality of the installation.

Everyone has their preference of boiler brand, I will however say that in this part of NJ Burnham seems to suffer the most, that I've seen anyway.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    peerless ect models 3,4,5? how much EDR do you have?
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,669

peerless ect models 3,4,5? how much EDR do you have?

He's got 140 sqft.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I have a 34 year old Burnham. Still going strong! As has been said, maintenance, water quality and making sure you don't have leaks in the system that entail adding a lot of fresh water throughout the heating season are key to longevity and good boiler operation.
    RomanGK_26986764589