Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Define a "Flooded Boiler"

Options
D. McLean
D. McLean Member Posts: 20
Specifically, can a laid up boiler be called "flooded" if it's laid up "wet"-- full of water? Probably a trivial question, I know. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    If it is a steam boiler and it is full, it is flooded. Doesn't matter if it was flooded intentionally as a matter of protecting it or if some feed failure or just ignorance caused it. Personally, I would suggest any water level above what you consider the normal water line to be is flooded. It's a matter of degree.
    D. McLeannewagedawn
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    If a boiler is in a basement that floods, is that considered a flooded boiler?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    D. McLeannewagedawn
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    a flooded steam boiler ,lol, is when you can"t see the water line and you have to drain some buckets of water for the burner to fire
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
    D. McLean
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

If a boiler is in a basement that floods, is that considered a flooded boiler?

No, That's considered a Flooded Basement. Contents of that basement are secondary to what is flooded.
    D. McLean
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Flooded is flooded, as noted above! However, the real question is how did it get flooded, and why? Things like insurance and so on, you know...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    D. McLean
  • D. McLean
    D. McLean Member Posts: 20
    Options
    My question was simply, "Do you refer to a laid-up boiler that is not laid-up dry, as 'wet', or 'flooded'". I think I already knew the answer, but wanted opinions.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    I think I'd call it flooded.
    It's flooded for a reason, but certainly cannot be operated until it's unflooded.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    D. McLean