Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Grille outside, gas connector???

Options
GW
GW Member Posts: 4,693
I called FW WEBB and they don't know of any approved rubber/commercial connector rated for outdoor use and rated for nat gas, anyone have any ideas?
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    @ChrisJ uses natural gas for his grille, not sure what he used?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ChrisJ
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited April 2017
    Options
    https://lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-3-8-in-0-375-in-x-120-in-Male-Female-Natural-Gas-Hose/50330313

Had one on my grill for over 10 years, and still in use. Make sure grill is for NG.
    ChrisJ
  • Gordy
    Options
    That's crazy high fred :D
    ChrisJ
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Gordy said:

That's crazy high fred :D

Quality comes at a cost, Gordy. :) (I thought it was a bit high also but the braided stainless steel sleeve to protect it from animals and, I'm sure to some degree from UV rays is a good feature. They are made from just rubber also, with on sleeve.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    FW Webb should have one. I saw one on the shelf here in Dover a year or so back.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @Fred
    For once, I agree with @Gordy, seriously?
    Protect it from animals? I guess, but not for $300. I shut the gas off when I'm not using the grill.

@GW I have a Weber NG grill and it came with a, I think, 10' rubber hose and a quick disconnect as well as the mating end which is I believe 3/8" NPT. Weber sells it on their website.

Looks like they have both a 3/8" and a 1/2" version

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-99263-Natural-Disconnect-Fitting/dp/B00YUUIL1G

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-42902-Natural-Hose-Fitting/dp/B00I8246RU

There's also much cheaper non-Weber ones on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CLJFSIG?psc=1

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Be warned though.
    The nice rubber caps they sell with them, fall off after a while so don't plan on using them. I never disconnect mine, never have a reason but as I said previously, I always turn the gas off when I'm not using the grill.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Tim Potter
    Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
    Options
    Commercial rating may be the sticking point, I wonder if the weber et al home connectors make the commercial ratings. I think restaurant gas stoves have quick connects so they can move them out to clean, I just got back from skiing Winter Park, & they have gas griddle & fryers outside on the heated patio that have gas connectors in the concrete to hook up to.

Tim
    Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO
    Gordy
  • GW
    Options
    thanks all, one of the fw webb guys sent me an email/quote, haven't had a chance to look at it yet, i guess they have something.

Thanks!
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    ChrisJ
  • Fred
    Options
    @ChrisJ , I see $118.00 for a 10 ft. length of 1/2"
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Fred said:

@ChrisJ , I see $118.00 for a 10 ft. length of 1/2"

Ah, I saw $266 on the 3/4 one.

• Gordy
    Options
    I missed the commercial use. What's this going to feed @GW ?

I'm like @ChrisJ shut the valve off after each use just in case. But it's never leaked, and like Chris is always connected. Gets a lot of UV too never effected its coating.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited April 2017
    Options
    glad I have propane...:}
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    wow tried to edit something and put in time out for spamming...
  • Fred
    Options
    lchmb said:

wow tried to edit something and put in time out for spamming...

I had that happen to me over the weekend too. Don't know what that's about?
  • Gordy
    Options
    lchmb said:

Don't miss the tanks one bit :)

lchmb
  • GW
    Options
    Gordy, 'commercial use' ---that term is being used loosely. I think it must have 'quick disconnect' which I'm pretty sure isn't available unless it's commercial, right? I don't do commercial kitchens, I have zero interest in that, so I'm unaware of the tricks with hooking up gas appliances on roller-casters.

this is for a simple bbq grille, wants the unit hooked to nat gas, the inspector (code) is calling for a tethered leash-like thing so it can stretch or pull on the gas connector. But it's the gas connector that is in question. The FW WEBB quote that was sent to me was only 12" long, so i need to get back to him and see what's up.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    lchmb said:

Gordy said:

lchmb said:

Don't miss the tanks one bit :)

Yeah,
    I'm not exactly sure why you're glad you have a limited and expensive fuel source?

We use our grill 5 or 6 days out of the week all year round. NG was the best thing I ever did.

Believe me, when I say I grill a lot. This was during a storm.

This is my connection under our back deck. I had not supported it yet, was waiting for the paint to dry. I originally had it pointing straight out and it was putting stress on the hose so I put a 90 on it. Something to keep in mind @GW

GordyratioBrianT1077
  • Gordy
    Options
    Agree we like to eat :)
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @GW, not to through cold water on anything but as we know in the "Great Communist State of Massachusetts" UL, AGA or any other listing means nothing.

Everything we use in Ma. is supposed to be listed and approved on the state website. Anyone else's approval means nothing.

Why not avoid any issues and the cost and hard pipe it??

I am sure I have violated the law. Try and find a MA listed flex connector for a large generator like 2 1/2" pipe
  • ChrisJ
    Options

@GW, not to through cold water on anything but as we know in the "Great Communist State of Massachusetts" UL, AGA or any other listing means nothing.

Everything we use in Ma. is supposed to be listed and approved on the state website. Anyone else's approval means nothing.

Why not avoid any issues and the cost and hard pipe it??

I am sure I have violated the law. Try and find a MA listed flex connector for a large generator like 2 1/2" pipe

Are you allowed to hard pipe a grill that rolls around?
    Gordy
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    I was going to say, that Mass. is like another world. A homeowner can't do his own plumbing, by law.
  • Gordy
    Options
    I didn't realize @chris you were such a devoted Weber user , I see you have the kettle to the left, and possibly something to the right.....
  • GW
    Options
    Yes mass is famous for its over reach
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Couldn't have got a reducing elbow @ChrisJ? :lol:
    ChrisJ
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    @GW

Advice from a MA plumber, is to go to a place that re-fills propane, and sells gas grills. They will have approved connectors that will work for either gas.
    GW
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    When it come to OVER REGULATION we are the best.

A few years ago no flex appliance connectors were allowed in MA. You had to hard pipe everything.

Stoves, dryers etc everything.

Every time you install an appliance you go on the MA web site and try to find weather it is "approved" or not.

A lot of stuff installed in other states isn't legal here. Most time even the reps don't know. Problem is some inspectors check, some don't.

Here's another problem I ran into:

customer had existing process gas equipment in there factory. Wanted it removed and reinstalled in a different part of the plant. Had to get a permit to extend the gas piping. This equipment was installed prior to the "MA APPROVAL LAW"

It ought to be grandfathered right? WRONG. Inspector wouldn't go for it. Had to be submitted to the board of plumbers & gasfitters in Boston for a variance which they approved. THEN the owner had to hire a PE to certify that the equipment was up to code because the manufacturer had never submitted his equipment to the state for approval.
  • GW
    Options
    Unbelievable, what a joke, regulation nation
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    How do you hard pipe a clothes dryer?
    That sounds dangerous too. They're too light and easy to move.

A kitchen stove sounds real fun, you can't access the back of mine from the front, and the gas connection is in the back. How do you pull that magic off?
    Canucker
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,630
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

A kitchen stove sounds real fun, you can't access the back of mine from the front, and the gas connection is in the back. How do you pull that magic off?

That's known as a field issue. The guy in the field will take care of it. It can't be an engineering issue, because nowhere on the plans does it say "all screwed up".

Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Chris, your method is not an aprooved BBQ connector. You have to use a BBQ box which has the integral valve that prevents the disconnect from disconnecting with the valve open. They are available in both 3/8 and 1/2 inch. I have had NG BBQ at my house for 30 plus years. The hoses are not affected by UV or anytjhing else. But I do shut the gas when not in use. Commercial cooking equipment that can be moved must have a wire restrainer.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Henry said:

Chris, your method is not an aprooved BBQ connector. You have to use a BBQ box which has the integral valve that prevents the disconnect from disconnecting with the valve open. They are available in both 3/8 and 1/2 inch. I have had NG BBQ at my house for 30 plus years. The hoses are not affected by UV or anytjhing else. But I do shut the gas when not in use. Commercial cooking equipment that can be moved must have a wire restrainer.

@Henry I'm trying not to be offended by your comment as I don't think you intended it that way, but it's very difficult when someone is basically saying you did something illegal and or dangerous. However, I have to assume your intentions are good.

The connector I used came with the grill from Weber and is approved for use with the product. You can disconnect the hose with the gas on, it shuts it off similar to a compressed air connector.

I do not know if it's approved for use, or for sale in Quebec, but I do not live there so it's kind of irrelevant.

My installation was also inspected and approved. Further more, when I made a complaint about low gas pressure the gas company sent a guy out who looked the setup over.

You'll notice my installation is practically identical to what Weber lists in their manual.

• Gordy
    edited April 2017
    Options
    That's exactly how I did mine. Except I came straight out the rim joist so the hose did not have stress on it from hanging. Just the way it worked out. Like @chris said if disconnected with valve on no gas is expelled due to the type of fitting.

A box really does little unless it can be locked to avoid tampering. Gimmick if you ask me.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,265
    Options
    You guys gave me an idea. I'm going to look for plastic braiding in my junk box. Help protect the rubber. What was that braiding for? I think to bundle computer cables.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    You can get the expandable braided sleeving on ebay for a good price. I bought 20ft of it back when I built my own speaker cables using 4ea CAT4 networking wire.

Looks like the going rate for 25ft of expandable sleeving is less than $18.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    I am guessing this is what @Henry is talking about. Clever idea in my opinion.

http://bbymfg.com/products/
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Gordy
    Options
    I'll bet they cost a pretty penny. For the person who just can't have a tacky pipe stub with shut off valve sticking out of the wall.......
    Canucker
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Gordy said:

I'll bet they cost a pretty penny. For the person who just can't have a tacky pipe stub with shut off valve sticking out of the wall.......

Usually you're the one arguing that someone needs to do something overkill and expensive.

How's it feel? :pensive:
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @ChrisJ as far as stoves connected in the back you screw a nipple and a 90 onto the stove and drill a hole in the floor. Push the stove into position so that the 90 lines up with the hole in the floor. Then screw a nipple up through the floor into the 90. Gas cock and union in the basement.

You only have to run up and down the stairs 10 time to get this made up.

MA does allow flex connectors now and did before but there was a period of time in between maybe 25-30 years ago where everything was hard piped.

They also outlawed CSST for a while but let it back in

Unless you never worked in MA you wouldn't believe the problems.

the latest thing is high pressure gas. If an existing system is HP with screwed pipe that was always legal but now is not watch out trying to change any equipment or any alterations. Up to the gas co discretion they can make you rip it all out.

Also (and this one really twists me up) you can do a job that meets code and the inspector approves it. If the gas company doesn't like it...they have the last word, not the inspectors, not the state board
    Charlie from wmass