Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam from the Sun, and a Possible Use for Carbon Monoxide?

Options

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,700
    Options
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Let's hope it is not eight!!!--NBC
    ChrisJTim Potter
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,700
    Options

Let's hope it is not eight!!!--NBC

I didn't even consider that.................
    Ugh.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    If they can make the process work, it does suggest another avenue for solar power. Whether or not it would be more cost-effective and energy efficient that using solar generated electricity to perform hydrolysis remains to be seen.

For those with longer memories -- or more reading -- I might venture to point out that coal gas (which had a lot of environmental problems and is, thankfully, long gone!) was a mixture of carbon monoxide and hydrogen produced by heating coal in a reducing atmosphere. The Fischer-Tropsch process can be used to convert that mixture into liquid hydrocarbons, and is currently in commercial use in several countries.

I see that a couple of the comments appear to have political overtones, which is unfortunate. It might be preferable to have the economics and real environmental impacts speak for themselves?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,259
    Options
    Sounds more difficult than harvesting algae.