Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Nature of the New Steam Beast

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited February 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
Nature of the New Steam Beast

Steam systems ain’t what they used to be, or at least so it would seem to some homeowners. The fact of the matter is that many retrofit steam boilers – under certain conditions – aren’t lasting as long as their predecessors. Naturally, it begs the question, “Why?”

Read the full story here

Comments

• Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,287
    Options
    Great points. Thanks for sharing, Dan.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,259
    Options
    Who will pay for an efficient durable boiler?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    I would... I like my Weil-McClain, don't get me wrong, but I don't expect it to last more than 15 years. The HB Smith which was original to the system was horribly inefficient (it took 5 gallons per hour to do what Cedric happily does on 3) -- but it lasted 40 years, and was till going strong when it was replaced.

Come to think of it, it looked pretty impressive, too...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,259
    Options
    Jamie,did you consider keeping HB Smith and improving efficiency with heat recovery?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    jumper said:

Jamie,did you consider keeping HB Smith and improving efficiency with heat recovery?

I would have -- but that was done before I took over here.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • TDS243
    TDS243 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Very helpful article - especially the guidelines for water quality. I'm a new homeowner and had to replace a boiler within 3 months of buying my house. I purchased the Peerless # 63-04L. I called my water company and my pH is 7.5, so in the recommended guidelines; however, I find that this season my automatic feed is running more than last season (Philadelphia suburbs). I had the boiler serviced in early November and I'm up to 59 gallons on my VXT meter. I've checked for leaks and everything is dry. No piping underground. Any thoughts on why so much make up water?
    Thanks
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Are any of the vents leaking steam? Check to make sure they are closing completely when steam hits them. Also, check all the radiator valves to make sure they are not leaking water or steam. 20 or so gallons a month probably indicates a few vents/valves steaming or leaking. if you are sure you have walked all the piping and have no leaks in the piping (both mains and returns).