Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flat washer use on taco pump?

Options
Going to install a taco 0110 pump to replace a b&g100. The bottom flange is an integral fitting into the boiler. I do not
want to remove this fitting since its been in the boiler over 35 years. The flange face is flat. Looking at the instructions for the taco pump,says not to use a flat washer,only O-ring or it will leak. Called taco help desk and he said it was ok to use flat washer with flat flange,but he did not sound to sure of himself. Have any of you guys used flat washers without a problem?

Not

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    The o-ring groove is cut into the circulator side of the flange. The o-ring then compresses against the flat surface of the mating flange. Clean the flat surfaces very well. Alternate your tightening...one side, then the other, as you snug it up.
    Zmandelta TTinman
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,260
    Options
    Has anybody tried Goretex instead of o-ring?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    I only buy Gator flange gaskets from Frederick Seal. They are the flat, full flange gaskets, and no "O" ring is needed. No problems for years. Their products are the best
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options

I only buy Gator flange gaskets from Frederick Seal. They are the flat, full flange gaskets, and no "O" ring is needed. No problems for years. Their products are the best

Do they make the standard two hole pump gaskets? or do you buy sheet stock and cut your own?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • billtwocase
    Options
    They are pre-cut Bob, and I also buy the sheet rolls for coil, or other gasket needs. I generally get the 100 count to last a while. They have other sealing products as well. Teflon rope is another favorite. They are out of New Hampshire.
  • hot_rod
    Options

They are pre-cut Bob, and I also buy the sheet rolls for coil, or other gasket needs. I generally get the 100 count to last a while. They have other sealing products as well. Teflon rope is another favorite. They are out of New Hampshire.

Thanks. I like the flat style to fit any pump. I bought a batch a bunch of years ago, need to replenish.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,260
    Options
    In bad old days I carried a spool of Goretex for when I had to connect flange right away. What I don't know is if it held forever like salesman promised. I know that it didn't on plate heat exchangers except maybe for ones that ran 24/7.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    I would use the square section o-rings that come with the pump. Tighten the bolts finger tight plus ONE turn with a wrench. I see many pumps installed cranked down until the flanges touch, thats why they leak. The gasket is designed to help isolate noise or vibration from transferring to the system. RTM

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    More gasket is not automatically better. I've had much better results for years using the O-ring type gaskets compared to the full-face type. I use the full face when I'm forced to re-use an old flange that might have imperfections on its surface, but it's not my go-to product.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Bob Bona_4Solid_Fuel_Man
  • billtwocase
    Options
    The old B&G circs had good "O" rings, far better than Taco ever did. The early Taco were cork, and didn't last. The orange gaskets have clay in them, or so I was told, and that is in part why they disintegrate. The early gaskets had cheese cloth, and that is why they lasted for decades.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    I've yet to see a flat gasket age well, and they can be a b@$* to change. O - rings for me, that's what the groove on the pump is for.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Bob Bona said:

I've yet to see a flat gasket age well, and they can be a b@$* to change. O - rings for me, that's what the groove on the pump is for.

The challenge is having the correct ring gaskets for all the different brands.

There are all sorts of gasket materials available, EPDM is most common, silicone, Viton, fiber, you name it.

We need to phase out of flanged, bolted circs and embrace the union connections. One gasket fits all.
    It would open us up to a whole world of currently available pump selections.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    For me, I've got about 6 Taco, 6 Grundfos on truck. 99 percent of what I run into, anything else gets a red flat :)

I'm on board with union concepts, providing that gasket holds up.