Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Accused of incorrect piping!

Options
flyrite14
flyrite14 Member Posts: 3
Recently replaced a hot water boiler in an apartment building with a typical supply out/ return in, single pump configuration. Owner required that it be replaced with a copperfin tube boiler. We in turn installed the boiler piped in the primary/secondary configuration. Boiler works great and heats building. They tell us before we replaced the boiler they were able to replace zone valves in individual apartments by only shutting off one ball valve on the supply side of the zone valve. Not sure how this is possible without a valve or check on the return side. Ever heard of such a thing?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    They may have been able to make quick change with the system pressured down and the valve closed. Kind of like when you hold your finger over the end of a straw.

I guess when you repiped you may have inadvertently made that "technique" stop working. I don't think from your description that you have incorrectly piped something or violated any industry standards.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    delta T
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Was there an integral check valve in the old pump? The only way I could see it would be if it were piped something like this:
    Return pipe>pump towards boiler (with check)>boiler>Supply pipe with Expansion tank/fill valve>apartment supplies>shutoffs on the supply side in each apartment>zone valve>back to the return.

When you shut off the supply to the individual units, the check keeps the fill valve from back pressuring through individual zones. Draining water will however depressurize the entire return side.

It is certainly possible what he says is true, does not mean it is correct....
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    @Zman I could see that, certainly on the top floor. Agreed, does not sound like there is any error in the installation though. @flyrite14 do you have an installation manual with a piping diagram you could show the building owner to convince him that it is piped correctly?
  • flyrite14
    Options
    They say the z-valves were replaced while system was in operation. The existing pump remained on the supply side "pumping away". Don't recall a check valve on the system return. Still don't see how it could depressurize the return unless it is not piped as a continous loop. Seems to me as a pressurized system it would still flow out the return as the path of least resistance. Hard to say not knowing how the system was piped. Showed them manufacture recommended diagrams as well as the "Heating Help" explanation of primary/secondary piping. They are also getting input from an onsite plumber they use who can't seem to grasp the primary/secondary configuration. It's funny how some people suddenly think they know more than you about something they've never done before! I'll get the rep out, maybe they'll believe him.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I'd question why they are changing the entire valve not just the actuator? Usually the motor is the failure point?

Unless they are upgrading to Caleffi :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • flyrite14
    Options
    White Rodgers!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Oh!

Have them demonstrate how they replace valves without isolating both sides. Maybe we all learn something.

That being said I did a video showing a valve replacement with water flowing. I used the Caleffi PressCon valve and fittings.

Sawed the old valve out with a cordless Hackzall, pressed the tailpieces in and tightened the nuts, less than 3 minutes.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    kcopp
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    Be nice if you had a pic of the previous system, they could explain what exactly they did for this procedure. Whole thing seems fishy
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    kcopp
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Maybe if the pump was on the return (which is wrong) and the static fill pressure was low, the upper floors may have had little or no pressure when the pump was on. This can happen very easily when you incorrectly pump towards the PONPC instead of pumping away.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    What @Ironman said is the only possibility I could see
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    I think they are pulling your chain....It's amazing the stories some homeowners come up with...They think the way they are used to is the way it should be..Not
    jonny88Mark Eatherton