Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco sr503 one light off, one zone cold

Options
Hello,

First time home owner, trying to troubleshoot a problem. I have a hydronic system (tagged antifreeze) with a Weil-Mccain WGO oil boiler (2013), 3 zones, Taco sr503 zoning control, Honeywell L8148A,E Aquastat relay.

PROBLEM: One zone the baseboards are cold (very cold) and not heating (was working 3 days ago), other 2 zones work great.

I look a look and the red LED light on the Taco does not come on when the thermostat should trigger. The green power light is on and the 2 other zones are red. I thought maybe it was the thermostat so I opened it up and found two wires one white one red, both tightly screwed down. I changed the face plate with an identical one from another zone, Zone 1 thermostat worked in zone 2, so that I think eliminated the possibility that the thermostat was the problem.

If I make the thermostat “call” for heat and the red LED does not light on the Taco zone switching relay is that a definitive sign that my problem is the Taco zoning control? Is there a manual way for me to bypass this zoning control to get the heat on?

Any crazy chance that one of the pipes in this zone had a spot freeze (runs under sunporch) and that stopped the circulator pump which “told” the zoning control that it can’t be triggered?

Thank you!

Comments

• BPH
    BPH Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Is the pump energized i.e...power to the pump?
  • KristenFT
    KristenFT Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I believe I have 3 taco cartridge circulator pumps, one for each zone. I'm not sure how to check if I have power to each pump.
  • BPH
    Options
    Do you know how to use an electrical meter?
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    If the light isn't coming on I'd look at the thermostat first. Batteries good?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    The green light means the t-stat is calling for heat and the controller is trying to open the zone valve. The red light means the zone valve has opened.
    It sounds like a bad zone valve. What kind is it?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • KristenFT
    Options
    No, but I could read about it, I can pick one up tomorrow if that would be helpful. All I have is voltage detector. I'm guessing the pump has a cover I can pop off to test if it has power?
    Thanks!
  • BPH
    Options
    It's an sr not zvc.
  • BPH
    Options
    You might think about getting a tech out there.
  • KristenFT
    Options
    This is what I got from the Taco manual

"External Diagnostics:
    Externally visible lights show full functionality of the switching relay. The green light should always be on, indicating that power is connected. When the thermostat calls for heat, both the appropriate circulator and red indicating light is energized."

• KristenFT
    Options
    I did change the batteries and even switched the thermostat with an identical one from another zone. I can get this thermostat to trigger the red light, pump, and get heat when used in one of the working zones.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    Sounds like a dead thermostat, of that relay inside the SR is dead

If the zone light isn't coming on dont worry about the circulator, worry about getting that light to come on.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • BPH
    Options
    Correct...you need to verify that the t-stat is working that means verifying both the stat and or the TT connection on the controller are doing there job, next if they are.... is the pump getting power if not it's the controller if it is it's the pump.
  • oreo123
    oreo123 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    My guess is thermostat is not calling. Are there good batteries in it?

• KristenFT
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise. Turns out it was a frozen pipe.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 707
    Options
    Good morning Kristen
    I was reading through your tread, and happy to hear you found the problem, and it wasn't the Taco control :) Heatinghelp.com is an awesome resource. For future reference, you can also contact Taco directly at 401-942-8000 and ask for tech support. It's always best to call when you have access to the control, so we can try some troubleshooting diagnostic exercises to isolate the issue.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • megenedr
    megenedr Member Posts: 1
    Options
    My system went down overnight and the green power light is no longer illuminated. I confirmed there is power at the 120v terminal. What could be my issue?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Check the fuses on the board. If one of them is blown, find out why before you replace it...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Back to Kristen's original problem, the red light should have come on when there was a call for heat regardless of frozen pipes, no?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    rick in Alaska
  • Melissa2316
    Melissa2316 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Can anyone help?? Also first time home owner. Zone two and three are red. No heat on either floor. What should I do? Any help is much appreciated 
  • Melissa2316
    Options

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Shut off power to boiler and relay. Change the batteries in the thermostats, turn relay/boiler back on.
    If that doesn't work, call someone.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Melissa2316
  • Melissa2316
    Options
    Turned it off  and back on still doesn’t work. No batteries in the thermostat. It Hard wired in the wall. Tried calling .. can’t get ahold of anyone Sunday in New England. Had to be one of the coldest days this happens on :(
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Do you hear the pumps running? What about your boiler? Is it turning on at all? Show us some pictures of your boiler, piping any any pressure or temperature gauges.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Melissa2316
    Options
    Hello Alan, thank you for responding. It’s definitely igniting and I haven’t had any troubles with my hot water. The two zones pumps were cold last night but I felt them running. After all the YouTube videos I decided to turn down the thermostats all the way last night and go back at it this morning. This is what I seen this morning. Seems that I only have one red light On the Taco box when Turning the thermostat back upin
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 235
    Options
    Please call into Taco Tech Support @ 401-942-8000 ask operator for Tech Support. We are here Mon-Fri 8am-5pm EST. Please have access to sr control to help troubleshoot.