Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

86 year old Steam boiler!

Options
2»

Comments

• MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I am on my 3rd car ever. Stick, smaller and economical. We have a kid hauler, also used and wayy way less paid than the new one would be, 3 year old when purchased. My smart phone is also my 3rd ever, from ebay, at half cost in store... Only after the other cars/phones died did I in fact, upgrade, to a used car/ebay phone at significant savings, out of necessity. But I also own 3 apt. buildings, run an arts center, and have started from $0.

Problem is that 1. people are paid less in real terms today than 20 years ago, 2. are not taught to manage finances nor distinguish between needs and wants, and 3. have no clue how anything works. Not even basic concepts in economy, politics, mechanics, personal finances... Nothing. And unless you happen to seek it yourself, aint getting it in school either. Lucky if your parents teach it to you, but that too is less likely (as in 2/3 are broke to begin with)...

Consumerism is pushed and hipsters are in with trunk-clubs and dollar shaver clubs... BTW, I also mend my jeans with $5 pack of 15 iron-on patches, bc I love them old jeans. I also grew up a little hungry and a little cold.

So, yes - it does come to personal choices. But, when the knowledge-deck is stacked against you, from the get go and early age, you don't know what you don't know.

Everyone should read Kiosaki books, and the "Millionaire Next Door" to gain some perspective and understanding. Then, some biographies of the founding fathers, and perhaps also of Edison, Pupin, Tesla, Carnegie, Westinghouse...

Then get out there and work. Become that guy you now envy. It's not rocket science.
    CLambSailah
  • PMJ
    PMJ Member Posts: 1,265
    Options
    Fred said:

On top of the lack of home equity and a lack of ability to manage one's own pension planning, banks/lending institutions have made unsecured loans with huge interest rates commonplace and people use it to buy all the "cool" junk which means they are paying anywhere from 25% to 50% more than that junk wasn't worth when they bought it. Not to mention the fact that they are still paying for it long after they have thrown it away, in favor of more "cool" junk upgrades! AND, we've made sure those poor planners have access to home equity loans so they can ensure they tap every penny (and often more) of equity they might have built, out of their homes.

What you say is true. I must stress, however, that the big change is that not long ago the average guy never was allowed to get his hands on a lot of what technically was his money as he is now. He couldn't borrow much against his house, and his pension contribution was removed before he got his check. These two things combined made for one hell of a lot of structure. What is happening to the masses now without this structure really shouldn't surprise anyone.

Truly "free" trade even domestically results in all the money ending up in a very small number of hands. Somehow banks and corporations used to effectively provide a lot more protection for the little guy.They did it by placing some pretty severe limits on what freedoms he had to effectively just give his money away. They saw to it that he ended up actually owning his house and had a steady income at 65. Since the structure has been removed he has next to nothing.
    1926 1000EDR Mouat 2 pipe vapor system,1957 Bryant Boiler 463,000 BTU input, Natural vacuum operation with single solenoid vent, Custom PLC control
  • dean_20
    dean_20 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Interesting post. I agree with Fred, BobC, MilanD. I have a Cannon AE-1 Program with lenses that is still perfectly good after 33 years. Now I had to replace a rotted out Burnham Independence PV4 in 2013 after only eight years with a new one. I only replaced it with the same thing because I got a deal I couldn't refuse. The original boiler the Burnham replaced lasted from 1932 to 2005 only 73 years. Unfortunately I don't have much new "cool" stuff just functional old stuff. All the whistles and bells don't mean much if your roof leaks, your plumbing doesn't work, and your heating system doesn't heat.
    MilanD
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Eight years is bad. It may be worth treating make up water to make it last longer. On the other hand I had commercial clients where all steam went to waste and they just kept replacing whenever.
  • Koan
    Koan Member Posts: 439
    Options
    I am a Financial Planner by profession, and cannot agree more with @BobC . There is such a void with education about money, and such strong marketing forces to consume things one cannot afford. Geometric math works against you with debt and for you with investing. Both can be very powerful.
  • PMJ
    PMJ Member Posts: 1,265
    Options
    Koan said:

I am a Financial Planner by profession, and cannot agree more with @BobC . There is such a void with education about money, and such strong marketing forces to consume things one cannot afford. Geometric math works against you with debt and for you with investing. Both can be very powerful.

But the banks didn't even allow you to take equity out of your house and buy stuff with it as you neared retirement like they will now. This was the more powerful force keeping average folks solvent wasn't it?
    1926 1000EDR Mouat 2 pipe vapor system,1957 Bryant Boiler 463,000 BTU input, Natural vacuum operation with single solenoid vent, Custom PLC control
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Guys, if you haven't watched it - watch 'The Big Short'. We consume. When I was a kid, my dad used it as a derogatory term (in a different language, but derogatory nonetheless - as in 'don't be a consumer'!). I now see he saw it before anyone else...
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    edited January 2017
    Options
    One has to wonder what ever happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix [or replace] it" and "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without". When I was a kid -- a very long time ago -- that was the way we operated, and given the income (or lack of it!) I still have, it's the way my family still operates.

I can't afford to have something around the place that I can't fix. Although there are a few things like that. And if someone calls me a consumer, they're likely to suffer an injury.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    MilanD
  • PinkTavo
    PinkTavo Member Posts: 64
    edited January 2017
    Options
    There is a duplex "territorial style" (flat roof, brick with parapet) on my way to work that was likely built in about 1910-15...that has a swastika as decoration on the parapet. I think it is the opposite direction from the Nazi type. I heard it was for good luck back then....sort of like the horseshoe above a door. This is in Denver.
  • RomanGK_26986764589
    RomanGK_26986764589 Member Posts: 229
    Options
    Swastika on the wall of a pre war house in NJ.