Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat help.

Options
albert0000
albert0000 Member Posts: 16
Hi,
Have a new honeywell TH8320WF1029 with a steam boiler. The temperature is set to 68, and the reading on the thermostat which is connected to a remote sensor never shows more or less than 68. The boiler seems to go on for 10 minutes the off for around 10 then on again cycling very often.
1. Is this normal?
2. Is it bad for the boiler and should I switch thermostats?
3. Does this waste gas?

Thanks

Comments

• albert0000
    Options
    This is on and off times I recorded
    7:30 off
    7:38 on
    7:41 off
    7:55 on
    7:58 off
    8:09 on
    8:13 off
    8:20 on
    8:24 off
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thermostats come from the factory set for five cycles per hour (5CPH), for forced air systems. Did you change that setting to one (1) Cycle per hour, the setting for steam?
    Under Code "170" Select option "5"
    Under Code 250, Select Option "1" - Cycles per hour
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    1. It's normal -- if the thermostat is not set up properly.
    2. It's not that bad for the boiler. It's not that good, either. There is no need to switch thermostats, though -- set it up properly for steam (1 cycle per hour) as @Fred said, and you should be fine.
    3. Does it waste gas set up that way? Yes.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    As others have said, you need to change it to run 1 or at the most, 2 cycles per hour "CPH" for your first stage heat.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • albert0000
    Options
    Will check what it's set too and get back
  • albert0000
    Options
    170 was set to 3 I changed it to 5 and there was only 240 I changed that to 1. Will report back
  • albert0000
    Options
    Just double checking, these are the options for system type. I think we have a regular steam boiler. Which is the appropriate option? Unfortunately The installer did not go through options.
    1 1 heat/1 cool conventional
    2 1 heat/1 cool heat pump (no aux. heat)
    3 Heat only (2-wire systems)
    4 Heat only with fan
    5 Hot water Series 20 system (power to open & close zone
    valves/normally open zone valves) 6 Cool only
    7 2 heat/1 cool heat pump (with aux. heat) 8 2 heat/2 cool multistage conventional
    9 2 heat/1 cool multistage conventional 10 1 heat/2 cool multistage conventional 11 2 heat/2 cool heat pump (no aux. heat) 12 3 heat/2 cool heat pump (with aux. heat
  • ChrisJ
    Options

Just double checking, these are the options for system type. I think we have a regular steam boiler. Which is the appropriate option? Unfortunately The installer did not go through options.

1 1 heat/1 cool conventional

2 1 heat/1 cool heat pump (no aux. heat)

3 Heat only (2-wire systems)

4 Heat only with fan

5 Hot water Series 20 system (power to open & close zone

valves/normally open zone valves) 6 Cool only

7 2 heat/1 cool heat pump (with aux. heat) 8 2 heat/2 cool multistage conventional

9 2 heat/1 cool multistage conventional 10 1 heat/2 cool multistage conventional 11 2 heat/2 cool heat pump (no aux. heat) 12 3 heat/2 cool heat pump (with aux. heat

Don't know.
    How many stages of cooling and heating do you have?

If you only have steam heat and no cooling then #3 is correct for you.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Sorry @albert0000 , when I looked up that thermostat, it was discontinued in March of 2016 and the codes I quoted you above were for its replacement #TH8321WF1001. You are correct, the setting for code #170 is "3"
  • albert0000
    Options
    Great. Will set it and see what happens.

Thanks
  • ChrisJ
    Options

Great. Will set it and see what happens.

Thanks

After you change the CPH setting give it a few hours to settle down.
  • albert0000
    Options
    Ok, so I corrected the settings and the system doesn't cycle as much now. Thanks everyone for the help.
    I have another thermostat TH8321WF1001 which is connected to a taco multi speed circulator that's connected to the boiler. This is for the basment radiators. Trying to make sure this one is setup correct because the motor seems to be running a lot. Went though system options and not sure about these.
    1. Is this radiant heat or heat pump?
    2. Cool stages, I'm assuming should be 0?
    3. Radiant stages? 1,2, or 3
    4. Backup heat type? Is this none even though the rest of the house has steam boiler?
    5. Radiant cycles per hour? What's this?
    Last one...
    6. Indoor sensor type. 10k or 20k
    Thanks tons
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,628
    Options
    Lessee, not heat pump, no cool, 1 heat, no backup, cycles/hour on the 1-3 range I think is the common recommendation, indoor sensor is used if you have a remote sensor wired to the stat.
  • albert0000
    Options
    Thank you! Yes I have an indoor sensor. Not sure what the difference between 10k and 20k? Thanks
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,628
    Options
    The resistance of the sensor is dependant on its temperature. Different types have different values, Honeywell uses two, one that has a resistance of 10,000 ohms at 77*, the other 20,000. The paperwork of the sensor should tell you which one you have, probably 10k. If the displayed temperature is way off, try the other setting. You can also tell the stat to average the on-board & remote sensors.