Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensate pump

Options
When would I need a condensate pump on a steam system? I can understand why to use a boiler feed tank but I can't think of any situation why a condensate pump would be needed. I ask because I looked at a job that has one and I want to get rid of it. It is a residential two pipe system. I have installed bigger boilers on much larger systems without installing a condensate pump or boiler feed tank and never had an issue.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,381
    Options
    In my humble opinion, the only time one would need a pump on a residential two pipe system is if, for some reason, the boiler was placed above some of the radiation. Then you'd need something to get that condensate back to the boiler. Otherwise... I can't think of a good reason.

Just make sure that all your condensate can, in fact, make it back to the boiler by gravity!

And if one ever did have one, it should be controlled as a boiler feed pump, not as a condensate return!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    usually if its sitting next to a boiler you dont need it. If the water could make it back to the condensate tank, it should be able to go another five feet to the boiler. There are times when they are needed, but for specific reasons like not enough 'b' dimension, as is the case with my system.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

SWEI
  • zackwatt
    zackwatt Member Posts: 81
    Options

usually if its sitting next to a boiler you dont need it.

You mean like mine? lol

LionA29
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    zackwatt said:

usually if its sitting next to a boiler you dont need it.

You mean like mine? lol

no skim port @zackwatt ?
  • zackwatt
    zackwatt Member Posts: 81
    Options

no skim port @zackwatt ?

I have one now! Those photos are just over a year old.

It was one of the first things I changed after going through this site.