Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cyclegard LWCO

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
Does anyone know if you can disable the "intermittent level test" feature on the CG400 ?
Its a real pain trying to get the unit to produce steam only to have it stop for a few minutes.....every few minutes. :#

Comments

• adambnyc
    adambnyc Member Posts: 260
    Nope, swap it out for a hydrolevel. Same probe, just change the guts and cover and your good to go.
    kcopp
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    kcopp said:

Does anyone know if you can disable the "intermittent level test" feature on the CG400 ?
    Its a real pain trying to get the unit to produce steam only to have it stop for a few minutes.....every few minutes. :#

No, the SafeGuard is the same control WITHOUT that nonsense. I'm going through this with Burnham right now on the two MegaSteams that we twinned. The controls don't even time the same which is causing added problems. See my thread on New MegaSteams in an Old Church.

@adambnyc

They're both HydroLevel: the Safeguard is the one that he needs.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    model #? please....
  • hboogz
    hboogz Member Posts: 113
    Quick question. Do you wire these 120v separately than other controls that are low voltage? Or does it still get wired the same because of the transformer ?

I'm god awful with electrical and wiring all the controls.

Harry.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    hboogz said:

Quick question. Do you wire these 120v separately than other controls that are low voltage? Or does it still get wired the same because of the transformer ?

I'm god awful with electrical and wiring all the controls.

Harry.

The Safgard 400 is for 24 volt steam systems and the VTX-24 is the water feeder that is 24 Volt.
    LionA29
  • adambnyc
    adambnyc Member Posts: 260
    One more time but with the 24v version. This probably resembles very closely what you have with the cycleguard. Should be plug n play

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Hydrolevel-Safgard-400-Electronic-Low-Water-Cutoff-24V-Steam?gclid=CjwKEAiAyO_BBRDOgM-K8MGWpmYSJACePQ9Cz-XnTRIuFZisaDsmEQCblkDUEyOkEJv2zn4VybbzFBoC8Srw_wcB

• hboogz
    hboogz Member Posts: 113
    Thanks Fred! I take it these are the lwco and feeder combo preffered? I recently went with the McDonnell Miller unimatch and lwco combo.
  • Fred
    @hboogz , yes, the Safgard and the VTX (with digital water meter) are the LWCO and auto feeders that most of the Pro's and HO's on here prefer. I personally have the McDonnell Miller #67 LWCO and I removed the McDonnell Miller water feeder in favor of manually adding water if/when needed as the MM auto feeder doesn't have a water meter and you don't know when you might have a leaks somewhere. I'm sure, when the time comes to replace my boiler, I will move to a probe type LWCO and a Safgard or similar.
    kcopp
  • BrianT1077
    BrianT1077 Member Posts: 108
    I would like to do this on my boiler as well. Are there any advantages, pros/cons, to the Hydrolevel Safguard 400 vs. the 450? What do the installers mostly use or recommend?
    Crown Boiler Bermuda Series model: BSI103, BTU output: 85,000, single pipe steam system
  • Fred
    The 450 is a 120V LWCO. If all of your boiler controls are 24V, you need the 400. If you are currently using the MM #67 LWCO, you need to make sure you have a boiler tapping at the appropriate level to install a probe.
    kcopp
  • BrianT1077
    BrianT1077 Member Posts: 108
    @Fred, I looked up my voltage, yup 24V, so the 400 is the one I need. Thank you.
    Crown Boiler Bermuda Series model: BSI103, BTU output: 85,000, single pipe steam system
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    I suspect there is a way to disable it. When I enabled the "SmartCycle" feature on mine the Intermittent level test stopped working. It started again at the beginning of the next heating season.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • I hate cycle guard cg400-2090 short cycling on steam! just as the boiler gets a head of steam up the boiler shuts off! give an old McDonald Miller #67! & get rid of the electronic ignition & vent damper & put standing pilot millivolt gas valve & pilot generator this would stop all the BS!
    kcopp