Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pinhole water leaks on Long Island

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    "Everything suggests this water is highly corrosive in the context of causing copper pinhole leaks," he said.

Duh!
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    You should see Village Of Garden City...tons of service calls over the years. "They " always say it's from stray elec. Current. Mad Dog
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    There are some towns in my area that the water is so corrosive that pinhole leaks are normal but from the info I've gotten from the water company and from lab testing that the quality of water passes EPA and DEP requirements, it's all left up to the building owners to treat there water.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    And oddly enough, the softest purest water can be the most aggressive...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Water softener that use ion exchange can add to problems. Anything that increases th conductivity of the water may add to corrosion

Water purveyors are using a lot if different treatment chemicals these days to stay ahead of bacteria issues and concerns

Recently a wood boiler manufacturer told me of poly phosphates being added in some areas to help keep iron on solution. It creates a sludging problem when heated to hydronic temperatures

California has pin hole copper issues for many years and would not allow plastics or Pex until fairly recently

Fix the water or use all non metallic components

Wonder how the human body will handle all the chemicals the add?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream