Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Installing radiator on outdoor furnace return line

Options
sn2324
sn2324 Member Posts: 1
Needing supplemental heat n game room. What are the pitfalls of using old cast or ceramic horizontal radiator and plumbing outdoor wood furnace return line to the inlet and outlet of radiator. Installation area is where return line leaves house. Seems straight forward but always like to get other's thought..Thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,356
    Options
    No pitfalls, really. However, you may not get a whole lot of heat, either. Depends very much on the temperature of the return line.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If you have an unpressurized outdoor wood boiler, then hooking a cast iron rad to it may not be such a good idea. The ODWB is an open loop, which means the water contains dissolved o2 which will eventually eat a leak in the rad - probably at the most inopportune moment.

I've never seen a ceramic rad, so I can't comment on that.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If you treat the water in your open system (which you must) you should have no problem using an iron component in the loop. CI rads are great in the aspect that they have large openings so you could pipe it directly through. Creep in mind that you will have no control on how much heat you get. As long as water is moving some heat will be emitted. You could make a bypass with a 3 way valve to direct water either through or around the radiator for control.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!