Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bare minimum valving to flush modcon

Options
ratio
ratio Member Posts: 3,627
Am I correct in assuming that the minimum I can get away with is isolation valves on the boiler & two boiler drains, one in the supply & one in the return?

Our first boiler changeout since I came on board. I expect the customer's going to get a good deal, since I'm nearly certain that around here I have to have a backflow preventer instead of just a swing check on the makeup water, & I'm not even going to ask about a dirt separator, I'm just going to get it.

Comments

• ratio
    Options
    The iso flanges? I was figuring on a set of them for the boiler circ & that be one side of the boiler isolation too, full port ball valve on the other.

The manual shows the circ in the supply to the system from the boiler (piped P/S), but it also shows it in the return as an alternate, which is how I'm going to pipe it unless someone changes my mind.

The way things look now, I'm going to have to take the (1-1/2") boiler loop up about 4-5', then over & back down. Think I'll have air issues doing that?

• ratio
    Options
    Oh yeah, that looks nice. I wonder if anyone has them on the shelf around here.
  • ratio
    Options
    The problem is that I usually need them RFN. Some of that can be lack of planning on my part, but mostly I don't get a two day lead time to go out & look at the job & then order parts. Also, even supplyhouse.com has a 7-10 day lead time on some of the stuff I want.

And, Ohio is taxable. :(

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Some of the Webstone valves allow you to purge from two directions, a nice feature that can sometimes eliminate one valve
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Webstone stocks in CA and MA, so 3 or less days to anywhere in the CONUS. 95% of ours get drop shipped, though Ferguson is finally starting to stock in the DCs.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of online supply houses, particularly for boilers, but if the local guys aren't gonna stock what I need, then I'm gonna use them.

The iso flanges in question are a perfect example. It took years to get REM to stock them at all and they still won't get them in ProPress. I get them from Supplyhouse.com and they're on my door step in 2 days or less.

Hatt is right: your wasting an enormous amount of time and money running from supply house to supply house when you could have them on your door step in 2 days.

Don't step over a hundred dollar bill to pickup a dime.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Hatterasguy
  • ratio
    Options
    It's not my business model. I'm just a worker bee. I'm quite sure that in the bosses mind I show up on a job with everything I need laid out in the right order, but oh so often it's physically impossible to do what the sales critters planned on. Not to mention a code violation & morally suspect. :):):):/:(

It's not quite that bad, though. I don't actually run out after two bolts and a coupling. I make a list and go 'til stalled. And I'm often enough pulled off to put out another fire that it's actually uncommon to have to make a special trip.

And Ferguson seems to be carrying Webstone now, although they had to order some of the fittings. I prefer local, as much as I can get away with.