Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam radiators and thermostats

Options
bb77
bb77 Member Posts: 7
We've just moved into a house that is ~140 years old in the Midwest. The house has steam radiators (2 pipe system). The thermostat is a simple temperature controlled system. I am curious to know if we can install a more sophisticated temperature and time controlled system so the heating automatically lowers during the day when we are at work/school and in the night when we are asleep. Also, the boiler for the radiators is ~70 years old and per the company that has serviced it for 15+ years, it's in great condition.

Is temperature and time setting on a thermostat a good idea for this system? Our maintenance person doesn't think it's going to make the system more efficient and we are skittish about messing too much with the boiler.

Thanks for your responses and suggestions!

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,695
    Options
    We need pictures of the boiler, radiators, the piping around the boiler and the thermostat.

Chances are, you're not going to want to do any setbacks with the system though.

Also, this belongs in the Strictly Steam seciond.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    As a general rule, folks have found that setbacks of more than two or three degrees with steam systems use more energy than they save -- particularly short ones, such as going away to work and coming back. A two to three degree setback at night, though, works pretty well -- and has the delightful advantage that if the times are set right the radiators are nice and toasty when you get up on a cold morning!

Any of the better programmable thermostats will work well, provided they are set up properly for steam (one cycle per hour setting). They don't come that way out of the box... and the boiler doesn't care what thermostat you are using.

I sorry to say that a 70 year old boiler is probably doing you no favours in terms of fuel consumption, even if it is working as well as it can be. Things have changed. However, if it ain't broke you may want to wait before you decide to fix it!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,695
    Options
    @Jamie Hall If it's a decent 3 pass boiler setup well it likely isn't bad.

But that's why we need pictures. If it's a snowman, forget it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • bb77
    Options
    Since the boiler ain't broke....
    How do I attach pix? Don't seen an icon
  • bb77
    Options
    Found it!

• bb77
    Options
    I don't know if the boiler pic is clear... I had taken it when we moved in to see if I could get more info from the company. The radiator is one of 8 in the house. It's a smaller size than some of the others.

Enlighten me!
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Are you sure you have steam heat? It looks like that radiator has a bleeder valve on the top right side which would lead one to believe it is a hot water system. More pics of the boiler and piping above and around it would help.
  • bb77
    Options
    Well, it uses hot water to make steam... so doesn't that make it a steam heater?
  • bb77
    Options
    i.e. a steam radiator
  • Fred
    Options
    Nope, two totally different animals. One actually makes steam, in the boiler that then feeds that steam through all the pipes to the radiators. In the case of a steam system, virtually all of the water stays in the boiler, except for the condensate out in the system, that occurs when the steam gives up its heat. A hot water system heats water, well below what it takes to make steam and then circulates that actual water throughout the system. The operating parameters are totally different.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    Not only do I see a bleeder there on the radiator, but unless my eyes are sadly mistaken I see a valve at the bottom on the section with the bleeder, and a plain elbow at the bottom of the other end. Need some shots of the boiler piping, but at the moment the odds favour hot water...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    The boiler rating plate is blank for the steam rating, so it is a hot water system.--NBC
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,853
    Options
    210K output?

Thats a lot of BTU's!
  • bb77
    Options
    Sorry for being gone, but I have info about all this:

1. We have a hot water system.
    2. The boiler is working at about 65-75 % efficiency... not great but right now we are keeping it.
    3. Given this system, we are being advised that it's probably better to invest in keeping windows/doors better insulated than puttering around with the thermostat.

You folks of the same mind? Is there anything we can do -- not major n terms of expense -- to be more energy efficient and smart on our utility bill?

Thanks again for your suggestions.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I think your guy was right, do everything you can to find and fix any and all air leaks. Then make sure any penetrations from the living space to the attic are sealed and beef up the insulation up there.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Fred
    Options
    Agreed. Anything you can do to seal up places where air can infiltrate and any additional insulation you can add will be money better spent.