Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another repipe and stage firing set up

EzzyT
EzzyT Member Posts: 1,307
edited October 2016 in Strictly Steam
I first want to thanks @jonny88 and his crew for helping on this job.
The boiler is way over sized so the stage firing is a must. We also installed a Fan in Can for combustion make up air. Upgraded the main venting too. Just have to go back to do combustion analysis after the new chimney liner is installed.
Before and after pictures.
E-Travis Mechanical LLC
Etravismechanical@gmail.com
201-887-8856
New England SteamWorksChrisJLionA29

Comments

• Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    edited October 2016
    niceeee work @EzzyT as always....by the way thanks for all your help.... and how are those vaporstats working out for you .....i had one so far this year out of 8 installations this year faulty ...supplyhouse.com sent me a new one right away......whats that
    EG-55?
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,433
    Awesome as usual. Why the #67?
  • EzzyT
    Thanks @Paul S and @Danny Scully.
    #67 manual reset as per code along with the probe type lwco
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
  • Danny Scully
    Ahh didn't realize it was commercial.
  • EzzyT
    It's not commercial plus I prefer float type lwco rather then the probe
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Judging from the draft hood I'll say EG-50

Very nice job Ezz.......
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • Danny Scully
    Where is that code? I'd prefer it if I was the one testing it :wink:
  • EzzyT
    Correct @Dave0176 and thanks.
    Code in NYC
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Thanks @EzzyT an absolute pleasure working and learning beside you.Loved the use of the wand by the way.
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    code in nyc requires 2 lwco's .....he is correct.....one electronic....one float type.....one must be manual reset.....we dont see them much in resi jobs because nothing is filed in nyc or its a self cert.......if its an apartment building building department is coming and looks for that right away
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • Danny Scully
    I'm in Nassau County, where in residential applications it's one or the other. Now I know a little NYC code! :lol:, most importantly, good work as always @EzzyT.
  • EzzyT
    Thanks @Danny Scully
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,087
    Nice job as usual. NYC has got to be the king of whacked out code. How many home owners are flushing their 67's ,particularly when they have an electronic probe. Think that you should have water sensors every 12" along the wet returns and at least 2 or 3 under each boiler section. Also two for each radiator shutoff valve and one for each air vent. We do need to be protected from dry firin, you know.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,265

Nice job as usual. NYC has got to be the king of whacked out code. How many home owners are flushing their 67's...

I guess that's the motivation for mandating redundancy.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    The probe I understand. What's the point of the 67? What would cause a prob not to detect a low water condition? Only thing that I could think of is wet sludge hanging from the probe. Any boiler so unmaintained will almost certainly have a plugged 67. I know anything is possible but common sense regulations are great. Only time that I have seen (That I can remember) a probe not pick up a low water condition is one that was not screwed into boiler block. Boiler was tilted and probe was in a nipple and coupling. Nipples always had water in it ,regardless of boiler water situation. Has anyone ever had a probe not detect low water and have a 67 detect the low water? I could be totally off. I am all ears. Been dealing with some ridiculous regulations recently so forgive me for being cranky. Btw, sorry to hijack the thread
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,099
    edited October 2016

The probe I understand. What's the point of the 67? What would cause a prob not to detect a low water condition? Only thing that I could think of is wet sludge hanging from the probe. Any boiler so unmaintained will almost certainly have a plugged 67. I know anything is possible but common sense regulations are great. Only time that I have seen (That I can remember) a probe not pick up a low water condition is one that was not screwed into boiler block. Boiler was tilted and probe was in a nipple and coupling. Nipples always had water in it ,regardless of boiler water situation. Has anyone ever had a probe not detect low water and have a 67 detect the low water? I could be totally off. I am all ears. Been dealing with some ridiculous regulations recently so forgive me for being cranky. Btw, sorry to hijack the thread

Probe type is electronic, has far more that could go wrong than a properly maintained #67 which is nothing more than an X rated looking brass float connected to a simple switch in a cast iron housing.

#67 float

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    I am all ears. Don't really know much about electronics. What is reasonably likely to go wrong? Some sort of short circuit in the electronics or wiring. "Well maintained 67"? Don't see many of thouse (in particular if homeowner knows that the 67 is only a backup).Even well maintained 67's build up crud. I am all for extra safety. However, mandated safeties =extra cost and should have some reasonable expectancy of making a difference. Calling all pro's. How many times have you seen a probe lwco not pick up a low water condition?
  • EzzyT
    @STEAM DOCTOR on an average heating season I tend to see about at least a dozen probe type lwco not pick up low water conditions all due to lack of maintenance.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
    Paul S_3
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,742
    How does a probe type lwco fail wet due to lack of maint? The only one I've ever fooled with stopped sensing water due to mineral deposits from running on roughly 100% makeup water. It was not a pretty sight.