Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

YP9C Furnace YORK® Affinity™ Series

Options
Viess
Viess Member Posts: 58
Hey fellas I got a question regarding a forced air furnace that's been installed in our new home that's being built. I went up to check on it today and found the thermostat wires wire nutted together. Is that safe? Won't that cause the furnaces to run 24/7 on high? And is that bad for the overall health of the furnace? It was very hot inside hotter than it needed to be. Thanks.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Not good. A cheap stat could be used for temporary heat, but the furnace should not be used as a construction heat source.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    The heating system probably won't care about the abuse but it speaks poorly about the building contractor. All it would take is a $20 thermostat, I wonder what other shortcuts he is taking.

I would call him on it and I'd watch what he does to make sure there aren't more serious issues.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Viess
    Viess Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Okay after trying to reach the builder with no luck. I went back to the property and took the wire nut off. Went outside to the exhaust vent pipe and listened for it to shut down. The burner and blower shut down. Went back inside and could still hear the register forced air blower still running. I assumed it would shut down once the heat ex-changer cooled off. I had to get home. I hope no damage was done? I'm guessing the only thing keeping the heat ex changer from getting too hot was the high limit switch? NOT VERY HAPPY RIGHT NOW!
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    Drywall mud going on? Some heat is required for that, & there's a chance it was a sub & not the builder that did it. I'd hazard a guess and say that 99-44/100% of all residential units run during construction.

We allow our (commercial) units to be run during construction after receiving a signed waiver that indicates what may happen to the warranty, & that cleaning will be billable.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    The time for real concern is when the sheetrock mud is being sanded. Very fine dust that your average 1" filter will not catch.

You want the power off to the furnace while sanding and until clean up is finished. Even stuffing plastic in duct work openings would stop the dust from entering.
    SWEI