Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for good advice on sweating copper (newbie here)

Options
2»

Comments

• warno
    warno Member Posts: 229
    Options
    I got alittle bit more ran this morning. Then ran out of elbows. It's crazy how quick you go through fittings.
    ChrisJ
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    warno said:

They sure do sell those fittings but by putting the copper to stainless and so on I eliminate one or 2 thread fittings each time. Like I've mentioned before around here I hate thread fittings. The fewer I have to happier I am. I've had too many occasions where I thought "yep that's tight enough" and don't put a union or some other break point and I have a leak, resulting in me tearing half of everything back apart to reset.

I was told to go from copper to cast iron you need a brass nipple into the cast piece to avoid electrolysis and getting a leak at the thread. Don't know how true it was I didn't want to chance it.

And yeah, I like fire and burning stuff and melting things too. Lol

Pretty much all hydronic components are available as sweat versions, and many in press. Balance valves are one exception, as they often go into coil kits with flex hoses.

Urban myth on the copper to cast in a sealed loop application, but you have a nice work around.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • warno
    Options
    Well, good to know I didn't have anything to worry about. I guess then it saved me the money on the added fitting into the cast because I made the bimetal sweat at work from scraps.

I'll keep that in mind for future reference. Thank you.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Bead blasting?
  • warno
    Options
    Yeah I cleaned them in the cabinet blaster at work. Seemed easier then buffing them off with the wire wheel.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    Just spread the heat, I see too many novices cooking one spot.

And when you are done let this solder set and then wipe the flux within a minute or so, some guys don't wipe the flux off and it looks semi Lame down the road. You gotta squeeze to get the flux off not just a gentle wipng

Good luck!
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    Options
    Also, after cleaning the flux off be sure to clear coat the pipes so they don't tarnish. Right @KC_Jones ? :)

Just kidding, I don't do that, but I think KC did.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    I don't clear coat, but the copper does get polished every year. I like shiny things.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • warno
    Options
    I've never thought to Polish plumbing pipes. Lol
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    I don't polish the plumbing pipes, they are my boiler pipes. If it can be polished I polish it. This is my latest polishing project. For reference that started out as all rough casting.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    SWEIrick in AlaskaTinman
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Your boiler pipes are considered "plumbing" no?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Just wanted to be specific that it isn't all my plumbing pipes, just the pipes on the boiler.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    waste vent and potable water is plumbing ,boilers are fitters work

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ChrisJ
    Options
    bob said:

waste vent and potable water is plumbing ,boilers are fitters work

Ok,

• warno
    Options
    I like the last definition of "plumbing" lol

But serious you Polish your boiler pipes too? You have a pic of said pipes?
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    Chris, plumbers that do boilers are wannabe pipe fitters .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• warno
    Options
    I pretty much have everything fit up that I can until I get more elbows early this week. So I started sweating everything up. I have the garage loop done so I went ahead and air tested it. I had one leak, and guess what it was, a stupid threaded fitting. I left the air charge in it to see if it drops any. In the hour I was out there it stayed up after I fixed the leak. The boss showed up in his car but didn't get out to inspect anything. Phew!
  • hot_rod
    Options
    If the piping is that pretty, the rest should be also. May I suggest.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    warno
  • warno
    Options
    That's a sexy mechanical room. I do have a sheet of diamond plate laying up against the opposite wall that could almost cover it all like that.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Don't shoot me for posting this, but even some electricians like it pretty. Found this many years ago on an electrical forum.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    SWEICanucker
  • warno
    Options
    Dear lord, when you have that much wire to run I would hope the guy makes it pretty. I would hate to see that much wire (miles?) ran and just thrown up somewhere.

Thread jack is fine but I have another sweat question...

Apparently I got alittle carried away on one of my valves (last one, go figure) and its leaking past the seal now. I tried tightening the pack nut but it's still leaking slow past. Anything I can do with this?
  • warno
    Options
    Anyone help me on my last question? Is there anything to do with a sweat on valve that's leaking past is seal?
  • ChrisJ
    edited September 2016
    Options
    warno said:

Anyone help me on my last question? Is there anything to do with a sweat on valve that's leaking past is seal?

Did you sweat it with the valve half on, half off and then let it totally cool before touching it?

As far as I know, there's nothing you can do, at least I haven't found it yet.
  • warno
    Options
    Yeah. It's a webstone propal valve if that matters. I put the valve handle at half turn then took the handle off to avoid hitting it. I waited for it to be cool to the touch before turning the ball again.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Are you talking about a leak around the stem packing? If tightening the nut doesn't stop it, sometimes you can remove the nut, wrap some teflon tape around the stem and reassemble. basically adding a new packing. Simple enough to try before you replace the valve.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    rick in AlaskaSWEI
  • warno
    Options
    It's leaking past the ball inside. The seal that seal the ball to the valve body. I'm guessing the stem seal but doesn't do anything for the seals inside the body?
  • hot_rod
    Options
    You cooked the teflon seat out, probably.

It still should not leak out the stem packing even with a damaged ball seal, unless you melted both seals.

Sounds like you got it way too hot.
    What type of torch are you using. A brazing torch with oxy actylene is not ideal for soft, low temperature soldering.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • warno
    Options
    I was using MAPP gas with the tip that came on the torch. I just bought it from menards for this project.

It's not a bad leak. When I tested the line with air I could hear it faintly hissing back into my empty tanks as it was losing pressure.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    warno said:

I was using MAPP gas with the tip that came on the torch. I just bought it from menards for this project.

It's not a bad leak. When I tested the line with air I could hear it faintly hissing back into my empty tanks as it was losing pressure.

There's a chance it won't leak with water, or when warm.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Maybe it's not critical you have 100% shut off? When or how was the valve intended to be used? If it is for purging isolation, a small leak by may not be a big deal.

Once that ring inside is distorted by over-heating, assuming that is what happened, I doubt it will self correct.

If the seal inside is way distorted sometimes the sharp edge of the ball opening and closing grabs on and makes the seal worse, or rips a chunk out.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    SWEI
  • warno
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's this valve in the attachment. Its to isolate for air purge and pump replacement, if needed. It's leaking on the "tank" side of the valve body.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    If you want or desire it to do the job it was intended to do, 100% shutoff for future service ability, I suggest you replace it.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • warno
    Options
    Ok. That's what I assumed would be the only option.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,426
    Options
    Any chance you used a little too much solder and its caught in the valve? Try and force it through the purge.
  • warno
    Options
    I don't think its solder and I only say because the valve turns smoothly without any catches. I've blown air through as best I can to try clearing any potential debris.