Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Header? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Header!

head·er
ˈhedər/Submit
noun
1. SOCCER
a shot or pass made with the head.
2. Informal
a headlong fall or dive.

I'm leaning towards #2

New England SteamWorks
Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
newenglandsteamworks.com
GregWeiss

Comments

• New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,521
    Ilka's having none of it!

New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,433
    Lol, so close!
  • New England SteamWorks
    But there's work to be done. High fuel bills, spitting vents, bang, bang, bang.

Nothing a little re-piping can't remedy!

New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    SWEIkcoppEzzyTBoon
  • New England SteamWorks
    Sorry, Gorton, there's a new kid on the block and your time has passed. Complacency is a terrible malady...

May I present The Big Mouth:

New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    hvacfreak2EzzyT
  • New England SteamWorks
    I think it'll work now...

New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    Do it right or someone will have to do it over, no danger of that here!

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,742
    Is that a strainer before the big mouth vents?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    If I remember correctly, @RI_SteamWorks uses a strainer ahead of all of his vents and now the Big Mouths too.
    New England SteamWorks
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,308
    Nice clean work
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • ratio
    Seems like a good idea on rework. Ever had one foul?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,183
    I put them on with the plug down and add a blow down valve there with a plug in it. I have found those cast iron plugs tough to remove after 2 years. The valve will tell you quickly if junk was getting close.

Also an easy way to time the exact arrival of the steam without the pipe having to get hot. It seems like the screen might slow down a water slug if one came along......maybe wishful thinking.

Cheap insurance if you have several high dollar vents in one place.
  • ratio
    Wouldn't it cause hammering if it holds water because it's facing down?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,099
    ratio said:

Wouldn't it cause hammering if it holds water because it's facing down?

The boiler holds water too and doesn't hammer.

Steam hammer doesn't happen unless the water gets in the steams way such as restricting flow, or dripping down into the flow of steam.

Laying in the bottom out of the way is harmless.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • New England SteamWorks
    Oh, -always wanted to ask: You'll note the pump in the picture hooked up to the skim port. I call it power skimming, wanting to skim as quickly as possible and save the customer labor $, and avoid call back aggravation. What I do is hook up the pump to the skim port with a hot boiler and throttle the water feed to match the pump output. I don't expect it to catch everything, but it does seem to get a lot of it quick, and the customer just follows up with some slow-trickle skimming into a bucket. Had a seminar once with Hydrolevel and they stated that boiler castings now are required to use water-soluble oils (EPA or some such) and the oils no longer (at least from the casting) can be reliably skimmed from the surface, so before I power skim I hook the pump up to a boiler drain and do the same thing at the bottom. If it's cold out, I close the return valve, make steam, and pump (or drain) the condensate before it gets back to the boiler, again matching with the water feed. Is it effective? I sure move a lot of water in a short time, and I don't get any complaints, so I have always assumed so, but never heard it discussed (that I can recall), -so I thought I'd throw it out for a good August conversation starter:

Power Skimming: A Worthwhile Endeavor?

You decide...
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,183
    Strainers: As soon as I posted that, I started to think about the trapped water in the bottom of the strainer. Been on my mind part of the day. But as ChrisJ pointed out it not only is in the bottom of a fitting, it is recessed from the steam passage. I never have heard any noise at the vents. They are usually in the boiler room at the end of a dry return.

When I check them cold there is a dribble of water. When hot it is just a mild steam blow down.
    If the strainer/blow down valve is installed before a F&T, then you can check for trapped condensate.....one system I had a real issue problem with. With a tee/ valve installed after the F&T you can test if the trap is passing steam or not, (again the same problem system).

Remove a plug/cap with pliers and open a valve to see the situation that would other wise require some time wasted.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    I was taught and Sarco says Y-strainers installed for steam use should have the pocket horizontal.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722

Oh, -always wanted to ask: You'll note the pump in the picture hooked up to the skim port. I call it power skimming, wanting to skim as quickly as possible and save the customer labor $, and avoid call back aggravation. What I do is hook up the pump to the skim port with a hot boiler and throttle the water feed to match the pump output. I don't expect it to catch everything, but it does seem to get a lot of it quick, and the customer just follows up with some slow-trickle skimming into a bucket. Had a seminar once with Hydrolevel and they stated that boiler castings now are required to use water-soluble oils (EPA or some such) and the oils no longer (at least from the casting) can be reliably skimmed from the surface, so before I power skim I hook the pump up to a boiler drain and do the same thing at the bottom. If it's cold out, I close the return valve, make steam, and pump (or drain) the condensate before it gets back to the boiler, again matching with the water feed. Is it effective? I sure move a lot of water in a short time, and I don't get any complaints, so I have always assumed so, but never heard it discussed (that I can recall), -so I thought I'd throw it out for a good August conversation starter:

Power Skimming: A Worthwhile Endeavor?

You decide...

I think it's a good idea @RI_SteamWorks . Have you considered putting a cartridge filter on the pump outlet with a hydrophobic filter inside and recirculating it to catch the oil? Might make it a little automated for you so you could take care of some miscellaneous stuff at the end of the job while it circulates? I don't know how hands on you have to be with your present set up
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Something like this ought to do the trick.
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    That's exactly what I was thinking of
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    outstanding job RI....i love it
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I installed my Big Mouth vents on my system today Too. Seeing yours motivated me to get a jump on fall prep!
    New England SteamWorks