Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this the end?

Options
1996 Crown 150k piped in all copper

I've been chasing down a leak in my system for a while now. Checked everything except the obvious..
Since we had record low temps in the past week the boiler has needed makeup water almost daily (not metered, just me adding another 1/2" to 1" a day). Got a chance to open it up and over-filled with water for only 4 hours; afterwards, no water on floor or bottom of the boiler.. But behind the fiberglass on the water feed line, I used a flathead screwdriver to gently feel around.. And got a small scoop of some corrosion slurry. Slow leak. What do you guys think the chances are of salvaging this boiler for a few more years? Won't be able to tell much before that Hartford Loop water inlet is removed, but any thoughts from those of you with all the experience?

Comments

• deadmansghost
    deadmansghost Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Experience tells me that what you see is the tip of the iceberg, and boilers and labour prices will not go down in the future. So replace it now.
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    It's a done deal and will only get worse, once steam takes over it'll corrode that faster then you can think. Time for a new boiler.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't put a wrench to that loop until the heating season is over. Can we see your copper piping? May as well start with suggestions early.
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    Yeah when I saw that corrosion person I kinda figured it wouldn't last that much longer
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • BurntFingers
    BurntFingers Member Posts: 38
    Options
    This is just really bad timing for us..

Gotta ask.. When corrosion starts at the water supply line, is it possible that the supply elbow and starter threads are most affected? If possible, would we dare try repiping with proper black pipe and extra pipe dope? Boiler solder?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,326
    Options
    I have yet to know a leak to improve with time... you may well manage to get through the rest of the season with it -- one can hope -- but it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a really good steam man all lined up and ready to go come spring. The good ones tend to be busy and stay busy!

I don't think I would fuss with repiping now, although you might be able to recover some of it. The pressures are -- or should be -- low enough that you might be able to try some JB Weld on the more obvious places, but these things tend to be really lacy even before they start to leak.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    I wouldn't touch it at all and keep your fingers crossed. Trying to mess with it can only make it worse.
    KC_Jones