Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

huge wrenches for radiator spud couplers

Options
ok. I am tired of using pipe wrenches on my spud couplers to un-hook rads. I don't like the damage they do to the couplers. I need a huge adjustable wrench or something.

What do you guys suggest?

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    I have an 18" says "Stilson" monkey type wrench with flat smooth jaws. Adjusts like a Cresent wrench. Configured like a pipe wrench, only with the smooth jaws. Goes well over 2". Would post a picture but it is outside in the snow covered truck.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    20" channel lock always does it for me. If it doesn't break loose, I give the radiator a little jiggle and it'll always break free.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    There is also the relatively cheap big adjustable Crecent style wrench from Harbor Freight.
    As you do not have to exert extreme torque with it in that application, it will probably last a long time for that purpose.--NBC
    SWEI
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I guess I would go outside if there is a chance to show off tools :) . My wrong not a Stilson, but made by Diamond.

The oldest one was my grandfather's (1900's?) stays home. (the toothed jaw is a knuckle buster if you try it on a pipe....not sure of its true intended function...single jawed pipe wrench?) Trademark of "B & G"

Then the 18" adjustable made by Diamond, can be adjusted very tight with pliers on the adjust nut. This one used a lot.

Rigid hex wrench #11...very handy.

Rigid offset hex wrench # E-110 (like a gun in Texas, don't always need one, but if you do, you need it bad)

The fine German Knipex, sweet parallel jaws up to 1 3/4".

The big guys are handy to crack nuts on a flush valve, just don't drop it into the china.
    The little guys are good to reassemble, with final tighten with big.
  • randallkc
    randallkc Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks so much! I didn't know about the smooth jaw options that were out there. Home Depot does not have many options.
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    We remove a LOT of radiator nuts around here...

These adjustable wrenches made by Billings are the go to wrench at the plant, not my photo but we have a dozen here just like it

At home I also have Knipex pliers wrench pictured above which I find more handy for a myriad of tasks. The jaws are easily adjustable with push button and then you get great lever action with the handles. Seems gimmicky but I can assure you it's a finely crafted German tool with a price tag to match.

photo 008-18.jpg
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    SWEI
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,727
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Dave0176 said:
    That's what I've been using but I kind of wish I also had one of these as it seems like it would give more bite on the spud nut.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/hex-wrenches

This has been my tool set for radiator spuds since 2012.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    I am fortunate to own both old and new versions of many of these wonderful tools. I suspect my grandfather would be proud to see his Stillson and Ford wrenches still in (semi) regular use.

I will say that the Ridgid E-110 has become a bit of a "secret weapon" in the basic toolbag. Everyone (regardless of trade) should probably own one.
    TmKady
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    Options
    Not for the average homeowner, but I have open- and box-end wrenches up to 3.75" for work. That's what I've used on my radiators. Only downside: They are HEAVY.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I have a set of Klutch adjustable wrenches that I got from Northerntool.com. The 3 piece set is 15", 18" and 24" long and they work great for those spud nuts. They also have a life time warranty and are reasonably priced.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,276
    Options
    Large but short open wrenches are available. May be called pump service wrenches? Handy for bicycle work as well.