Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wayne burner tripping reset button

Options
Taz1956
Taz1956 Member Posts: 9
Hi all. I have a problem. A Wayne MSR burner is tripping the reset button when the burner is not on a regular cycle. (example: if temp rises outside, or I use a setback setting)
I have to push the red reset button, then the contactor does actuate, hums, but I have to rap the motor a few times for the motor to start pumping.
So, my questions are: motor is stuck, bad brushes if it is not brush-less, electric eye not seeing a flame, or some other reason?
My furnace did not fire last week on our lake house, and cold set in, and froze pipes.
What do I or can I do to resolve this?

If the furnace is on a steady cycle, all is fine. I have to rap the motor once or twice after a red button reset.
What causes the reset button to trip?
I am new to oil fired furnaces,

Thanks your your time and read.
Bob R

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,332
    Options
    Could be any number of possible problems, but it does sound as though the motor might be bad. Or the connections. or a bearing. or the oil pump seized. Or... may I humble suggest a good oil burner tech.

And whatever you do, press that red button once, and only once. If one press doesn't do it, don't do it again -- get a pro.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • 776v63
    776v63 Member Posts: 61
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Maybe someone who is more informed on this will correct me, but you may be having a problem with the start winding in your motor if it's an old style.

If I remember correctly the winding can get a weak spot, and if the motor happens to stop in that weak spot, it won't start again.

Once the primary control energizes the motor, it will trip off on reset if the motor doesn't start, due to no flame sense, caused by no fuel delivery.

Based only on your report, I would change the motor, assuming there aren't any issues with the wiring. Sounds like it needs to be replaced no matter what.

From there, any other problems can be tracked down.

There are videos on YouTube that show how to do things like that. Do so at your own risk.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    I would not recommend trying to replace any component on an oil burner if you're not familiar with them.

Call a good oil tech. Try the contractor locator on this site.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    776v63
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    "I am new to oil fired furnaces," Say's it all...
    Have a tech come in, have them check to see the last service and correct any issues while they are there...
    776v63
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Could be burnt contacts on the starting switch, or even a bad cad cell relay if burner mounted. You could also be jarring the bad points on it when you "bang" the burner. Either way, find a pro. Good luck
    776v63