Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking gorton vent

Options
13»

Comments

• jbmoff
    jbmoff Member Posts: 76
    Options
    My previous home (1903 Victorian) had the pocket doors that were great at keeping rooms closed off and even warm. HUGE open staircase that led the heat straight upstairs. My current home (1929 Colonial) has rooms that can be closed off with glass French doors on the first floor and a NON OPEN floor plan (thank God). Staircase is not as open but also funnels a lot of heat upstairs. I'm blessed the house has been unmolested from its original floor plan as was my 1903. Sometimes you just have to accept that heat rises! And the 2nd floor is a bit warmer.
    I wouldn't trade my steam heat/radiators for nuthin'!
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,786
    Options
    The nice thing about pocket doors is just knowing that they're there.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options

The nice thing about pocket doors is just knowing that they're there.

You are so right. Don't make me think about it :(
    Dave in QCA
  • RomanGK_26986764589
    RomanGK_26986764589 Member Posts: 229
    Options
    Fred, you're right. I have an open staircase. Most of the time when it's not terribly cold outside (ie 25-30 degrees) the temp difference is maximum 1 degree. I also have a third floor with electric baseboards but I never turn them on as the heat from the second floor is enough to heat that third floor room.
  • Fred
    Options
    Electric baseboard will be costly to run all the time. If you have a way to close a door to the third floor or somehow close it off for a couple days, do so and see what that does for the temps on the second floor.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,741
    Options
    The previous owner took the pocket doors with him, so I took out the wall it just didn't make sense anymore. The funny thing, he left the hardware and from my research I got the "good" part. Apparently I have some very rare pocket door hardware (see pictures). Payson Pendulum never seen anything like it and there is only a tiny bit of stuff online I could find out about it. I can say this the hardware runs smooth as silk. I am going to reuse a couple of them for my daughters bedroom closet door. No track and saves some space...and it looks cool!

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • jbmoff
    Options
    They just don't build houses like they used to.
  • RomanGK_26986764589
    Options
    Fred, I have a door to the third floor. That is a guest room so I usually keep it closed and open it whenever we expect somebody to stay overnight. It's my second year in my house and I've never ran the baseboards yet.
  • RomanGK_26986764589
    Options
    jbmoff said:

They just don't build houses like they used to.

They do, I think you just need to pay more for higher quality materials and workmanship. My realtor, who sold me my house, is an owner of a construction firm and they build new houses in the area. They're more expensive but their houses are top notch and they have nice plan/layout of the houses.
  • jbmoff
    Options
    @RomanGK_26986764589
    I agree about paying more. BUT, there's just " something" about a house built before the 1950s that screamed solid construction, charm, and craftsmanship that, no matter what, cannot seem to be duplicated with today's work.
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A lot of the old houses in this area used basswood for the trim. It's a tough wood that takes a nice finish and gets very hard as it ages - don't try mounting a curtain rod with nails, won't work unless you predrill.

There is also no substitute for old growth fir framing (when 2X4's measured 2.0 X 4.0); their not making that anymore. I replaced a cellar window a few years back that dad been sitting in the dirt for 90 years, the surface looked pretty bad but 1/8" down it was like new.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • jbmoff
    Options
    Even the old Douglas Fir pine they often used for doors and even trim was beautifully grained and durable. My current home has chestnut trim that cannot be beat. Too bad the previous owners painted it white. :'(
    All the houses on my street still have their UNPAINTED chestnut that is just gorgeous, old growth wood.
    Try and find that at Home Cheapo... ;)
    Dave in QCA
  • RomanGK_26986764589
    Options
    Home Despot is a no no for big stuff like house building. Funny how my realtor advertised that they never use Home Depot stuff. I think Home Despot may be good for small things. IMHO They have pretty nice Makita and Milwaukee drills.
    BrianT1077Dave in QCA
  • Fred
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of Makita but I like Milwaukee. I'm not crazy about much of the stuff HD sells, even the small stuff but I use them in a pinch. some of the name brand fixtures they sell are OK. Lots of their stuff is from China. Not very good luck with that stuff.
    BrianT1077Dave in QCA