Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wi Fi Thermostats

Options
So most currant systems carry the "C" or common wire for new wifi set ups. So which is the correct wiring for an older or currant 2 wire oil fired systems. I was told install 2nd transformer remove jumper from R& RC . Connect heat to R & W. Common from new trans to C and power side of trans to RC. This info tech support. Is this Correct? have installed other wi fi set ups but this is first Or test run on an 2 wire oil fired system. This is a hot water bb system single zone cold start.

SWEI

Comments

• Bio
    Bio Member Posts: 278
    Options
    Yes that will work, that's how I have it
    guardian
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I am not sure why you need a second transformer. You just need to get a common to the t-stat.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    guardian
  • guardian
    guardian Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Zman . Where do get a common wire from a Honeywell aquastat L8124A?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I don't have one in front of me. From the looks of the schematic,I don't think they gave you a terminal or a wire to cut into. You would probably have to solder onto the board.
    That was not very nice on Honeywell's part...
    If you add a tranformer to the system be sure you wire it to the same 120 circuit as the other one or you can end up 48 volts rather than 24 volts. I knew a guy that did that, it lets all the smoke out. LOL.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That 48 volts is why they're having you pull the jumper from R-RC. That basically separates the two functions, power to the stat on RC(ooling) & C, R (think RHeat) & W.

Also not getting the 48 volts depends not only on the right circuit, but the right polarity on that circuit as well - if it's backwards you still get 24 + 24 volts...