Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old House with a fairly new system and not satisfied with performance

2»

Comments

• pjmilford
    pjmilford Member Posts: 16
    Thank you all so much, I will keep you posted on what I find out. I will reach out to Charles Garrity tomorrow, thank you for the lead.
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Go to "sites.google.com/site/steamheating/zoneheatingwithcondensate" there is a wiring diagram on how this is to be wired.
  • pugdad
    pugdad Member Posts: 23
    The zvc should only control hw zones not the steam zone
  • pjmilford
    Hi Jamie,
  • pjmilford
    Hi Jamie,
    I have a dumb question in regards to your Pressuretrol picture supplied. I thought that the main had to be set higher than the differential? In your picture, your main is set around 1 and your differential is set around 2.5. Also, it seems difficult to get a good setting at anything under 2 on the main side because the size of the measurements is not consistent. is there a reason why the manufacturer does not supply a measurement of 1 on either scale?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,099
    edited December 2015
    pjmilford said:

Hi Jamie,
    I have a dumb question in regards to your Pressuretrol picture supplied. I thought that the main had to be set higher than the differential? In your picture, your main is set around 1 and your differential is set around 2.5. Also, it seems difficult to get a good setting at anything under 2 on the main side because the size of the measurements is not consistent. is there a reason why the manufacturer does not supply a measurement of 1 on either scale?

I believe you're talking about the picture I supplied, but copied Jamie's post?

I set my Pressuretrol up using a 3 PSI gauge and my mouth to supply the pressure. I made sure it was repeatable and reliable. You won't be able to just set yours the way mine is as it's doubtful it'll give the same results. The way mine is set it operates between 0.5 PSI and 1.5 PSI.

The reason they do not give you a scale that low is the unit wasn't designed to be used at these pressures and to be honest, even if it was those scales aren't that accurate anyway.

If you really want a unit that works well at lower pressures I'd recommend a 0 to 4 PSI Vaporstat. I'm sure Charles Garrity can set you up with one if you want.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,988
    I'm glad it wasn't my picture -- because I don't remember ever having posted one!

@ChrisJ 's comments, though, are correct (no surprised there!). The only 100% reliable way to set any of the pressure control gadgets is with a gauge -- or a suitable substitute (my vapourstat, for instance, is set with what is basically a manometer, which is fine for my pressure ranges ( 0 to 12 ounces).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Dennis1679
    Dennis1679 Member Posts: 24
    The steam thermostat should not be connected to the ZVC relay.
    If you can identify which wire it is, and there are only 2 wires, you can connect them to the xx isolated end switch that fires the boiler.
  • pjmilford
    Thank you, sorry for the confusion. There are only 2 wires connected to the steam thermostat, it should be easy for me to distinguish which 2 they are, as that thermostat comes from a different direction than than the other 2, I will take a look at those this weekend.......thanks again.
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    It is of my opinion, but I think the near boiler piping needs to be fixed to, both of those two 2-1/2" mains NEED to come off the 3" header. The current way it's piped is a no no in all of our books including the manufacturers manual. It's reduced to 2" into a bullhead tee then bushed up 2-1/2.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
    KC_JonesDave in QCASWEI
  • Dennis1679
    Dennis1679 Member Posts: 24
    What Dave 0176 said
  • Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    Why don't you get the US Boiler rep involved instead of guessing everything. They will come out for free and probably know the product as well as anyone.
  • pjmilford
    Thank you Jason, we are thinking the same thing. I sent an email on friday to them, they responded with a request for the serial number and pictures, which I sent to them yesterday, waiting for their response. I also have contacted the 1 local contractor that they list on their own website for service and installation. I will let you know how that goes.......thank you for staying involved.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited December 2015
    Wanna laugh? I bet the boiler is waiting for an end switch, by way of the ZVC. Are all your t-stats attached to the ZVC?