Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fill Valve

Options
Dan Foley
Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
My friend Doug A. sent this to me today.

- DF
HillyHarvey RamerRich_49SWEI

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    edited December 2015
    Options
    As Dan H says... " you cant make this stuff up!"
    Hilly
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    Options
    That's a 30 psi fill valve.

- DF
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    It'sa pressure activated bypass with backflow prevention dontchaknow.... :-) Hi Dan.

Hat, technically speaking it IS a PRV... Different meanings to different peeps. Which is why I avoid the use of those particular initials. Too many potential meanings...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    I once saw a picture of the relief valve discharge piped into the expansion tank.

#equallydope
  • Harvey Ramer
    Options
    Those solder joints... Like snot running out of a kid's nose on a cold winter day.

Whoever did this work should go take a nap or something.
    ChrisJ
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I have seen several pressure relief valves for boilers and water heaters piped into a pipe PLUG. (I'm sure others have also witnessed this......"damn cheap valve/fitting that leaks, we will fix this.....see no more dripping!!") :o
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 481
    Options
    Brilliant! WTH!?!
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    Options

Those solder joints... Like snot running out of a kid's nose on a cold winter day.

Whoever did this work should go take a nap or something.

I also like the mess of pipe dope, some smeared on the side of the valve etc.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Good news is the system will be full . Bad news is the system will be full . LMFAO
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Tinman
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Rich said:

Good news is the system will be full . Bad news is the system will be full . LMFAO

Shame just as many HW systems are being messed up by "knuckleheads" as steam.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Rich_49
    Options
    This is what happens when your counterman is smarter than you or you count on him telling you what you need . Another option is , You're just STUPID
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Rich said:

This is what happens when your counterman is smarter than you or you count on him telling you what you need . Another option is , You're just STUPID

Not knowing how to work on a boiler doesn't make a person stupid any more than knowing how to work on one makes a person smart.

It just means they had no business working on the boiler.
  • Rich_49
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Putting a pressure relief valve on a boiler thinking it is a pressure reducing valve and working on a boiler knowing that you have no clue are both STUPID .
    Let's not mince words here or give PC lessons Chris , I do not require such . If that was not your goal I apologize but the attempt at political correctness and coddling idiots has never , will never work . My only hope is that the fool that did this comes across this thread .
    Maybe I only speak for myself but I learned much more being told I was a **** than when someone told me I was a good boy and don't do that again . Just like many creatures learn from pain , if it don't hurt , lessons usually are not learned .
    732-751-1560
    j a_2
  • ChrisJ
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Rich said:

Putting a pressure relief valve on a boiler thinking it is a pressure reducing valve and working on a boiler knowing that you have no clue are both STUPID .
    Let's not mince words here or give PC lessons Chris , I do not require such . If that was not your goal I apologize but the attempt at political correctness and coddling idiots has never , will never work . My only hope is that the fool that did this comes across this thread .
    Maybe I only speak for myself but I learned much more being told I was a **** than when someone told me I was a good boy and don't do that again . Just like many creatures learn from pain , if it don't hurt , lessons usually are not learned .

No, I wasn't giving PC lessons, I was being realistic Rich.
    Giving you lessons on PC would be the definition of futile. :)

ZmanRich_49jonny88
  • Rich_49
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I guess that would depend on one's definition of realistic . Our country for instance has become quite PC , now look at all the worries we have from all angles . Oh well . Politically correct should have been left in the laps of politicians and not society . It is PC that makes politicians , politicians after all . Guess we are all just full of crap now and as bad as them . Futile would be an accurate word .
    732-751-1560
    Hatterasguy
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    I agree that installer is stupid....Pretty much page one or two of all boiler manuals says IMPROPER installation can cause death....Jesus if that's not making it clear enough that you need to read and follow the manual I don't know what else is....Oh dear Mr. Handy man, please stick to fixing door knobs
  • Harvey Ramer
    Options
    http://armyphotos.togetherweserved.com/439595.jpg

I know, I saw it right away too....
    No safety glasses or hearing protection.

And I caught something else that is really important~ He has no gloves on.

Rich_49ChrisJ
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    or
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    He did make a nice clean transition with the 3/4 X 1/2 c-male adapter. That took some forethought.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hvacplumber7
    hvacplumber7 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    You have to kinda wonder, if when this guy was putting this togather. Was he thinking that the manufacturer is so stupid for not making a pressure reducing valve that pipes straight through instead of at a right angle.
    If you have to question why it seams like things are going togather hard. It's probably not going togather right.
  • j a_2
    Options
    Please tell me wasn't a plumber..who installed that...And it was just some kind of wannabe plumber.....
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    j a said:

Please tell me wasn't a plumber..who installed that...And it was just some kind of wannabe plumber.....

Bet it was an actual plumber.
    Probably licensed in Massachusetts. :p
    j a_2
  • j a_2
    Options
    Yup I think so , but came from the New York New Jersey area where he got all his training..figured he would come up here and show us what we have been doing so wrong for so many years...I hear he is leaving soon, heading to JAIL...lol