Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydronic heating. Both general water(potable) and radiant heating(non-potable)

Options
For the past couple days I've had a issue come up so its been an education on hydronic heating on a full sprint.
My place has one gas water heater (Bradford White)to heat both the radiant floor (heating) and the normal consumable water (faucet, shower, appliances etc...). I have contacted B&W and provided my model/serial of the tank. (Which has been discontinued) the B&W tech said that this tank does not separate the heating water and potable water
From the exterior of the tank it looks to be a closed system but after speaking with B.W. tech internally he said it is an open system. Circulating both waters together. What am I missing here?? Does this mean that I am consuming my non-potable heating water?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    Most likely... what is the model number of the unit? None of the current models of BW residential water heaters I find separates.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    allencrown
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Unless there is an external heat exchanger than yes they are mixed together. Not good.
  • allencrown
    allencrown Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank for the help!
    Model # M2CTW50TIOEN10
    Serial # TC5147009
    I attached pic as well
  • allencrown
    Options
    Thanks for the help!
    I have attached pic of the tank system. I don't think there is a heat exchanger.. Can you tell from the pic? Also there is not a timer on the system to circulate the heating water (when not in use) so the heating water that sat for 6 to 7 months got circulated when I turned it on.. correct?
  • Gordy
    Options
    You can separate them with a brazed plate heat exchanger that separates the two systems.
  • Gordy
    Options
    Correct. What is temp setting on the water heater? Is there a mixing valve for domestic, and or the radiant?
  • Gordy
    Options
    Also have you heard of legionella?
    allencrownZman
  • allencrown
    Options
    Thanks Gordy,
    Currently, I am a property manager of 99 aptartments and I live in one of them. All of these units have this exact same hydronic system. (See the problem) I believe when these were installed in 99' 2000.And the city passed inspections with a closed loop system. Not an open system as we have here. I'm trying to get that confirmed.
    I say *currently* i am a property manager b/c I approached my supervisors with this issue and they wouldn't even give me the time of day or even cared to inspect the possible problem. Not only could this effect our current residents but over 15 years of past residents. (Yikes)
    I'll let you know if I still have a job next week.
  • Gordy
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I would approach this from the legionella standpoint. Read up on it it is a concern. Especially if the renters have resiptory issues, and weakened immune systems. Elderly, and children more susceptible.

This does not affect one household, but many as a complex.

What is the temp of the waterheater?

Your absolutely certain there is no external heat exchanger?
  • allencrown
    Options
    I know, its very unfortunate. I hope I am wrong with everything, but if I am correct, who knows what would happen. (That's why I am reaching out for additional information)
    Water temp gauge is currently at 120' (but this goes up and down from day to day from 100' to 125' - I think the gauge itself is not working properly)
    And YES! I am absolutely certain there is no external heat exchanger.
  • Gordy
    Options
    Legionella just loves to thrive in that temperature.it does not like above 135. To use that temperature would require mixing for both domestic, and radiant heat.
  • Gordy
    Options
    Plenty of info here, and Google on legionella concerns. Do a search on this site.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    If that is an open system -- which seems far more likely than not -- and if it is running at the temperatures you quote, it is a disease disaster waiting to happen, especially Legionella. Unless you need the job, and can convince your supervisor to start fixing things yesterday, may I suggest a quick exit?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    BW still makes the CombiCor. Which is a tank with internal HX for heating loops.
    Depending g on age and condition, maybe start a replacement plan with Combis.

Plate HX would be an option, but requires a stainless pump and possibly yearly flushing and de liming of all those HX. Depends on water quality and amount of DHW used
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream