Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Downsizing Munchkin 399M by Replacing Burner

Options
16sail
16sail Member Posts: 3
The prior homeowners installed a grossly oversized modcon (Munchkin 399M) in our 3,500 sqft New England home.

Our heating contractor suggested replacing the burner with one from a Munchkin 199M to improve efficiency. He indicating this is a very simple exercise, though I suspect the part is not cheap.

Is this a sensible path to follow? Any downsides? Are there any other actions we can take besides a rip and replace of the boiler?

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The only real answer to that question is a call to HTP.

Grossly oversized is an understatement.

HTP, Inc.
    272 Duchaine Boulevard
    New Bedford, MA 02745

Telephone: 800 323 9651
    Telephone: 508 763 8071
    Fax:508 763 3769
    E-mail: sales@htproducts.com

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I doubt if you can do it, but if the factory says it okay, get it in writing with detailed instructions. Also, make them give you a new rating tag for the boiler. Otherwise, the person doing it is totally liable for altering the appliance and any results, which could included personal injury or death.

Another solution which would be less expensive than a new boiler would be to install a properly sized buffer tank.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Zman
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Your contractor probably should have mentioned or suggested a heat loss be performed . @ 30BTUh sq ft your home is only 105,000 . The 199 is also grossly oversized my friend . Maybe you should find another contractor that is willing to do the right thing . This would be a much better fit and a new warranty also . You won't believe the price point either .

http://www.htproducts.com/UFT-Boiler.html

Sticking a smaller combustion assembly into a wrong sized Giannoni Heat exchanger in a machine with a serial number that is more than likely damn near out of warranty is just plainly a terrible idea . I highly doubt HTP will allow this either . Contact Emerson Swan in Randolph and ask them who might be the best for you to contact in your area to look at this job . They will know who to put you in touch with to get this done right .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833