Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Residential steam boilers

Scrimshaw
Scrimshaw Member Posts: 4
edited October 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
I live in the Southeast where there's not a lot of boilers. I'm trying to find out, though, what percentage of new boilers put in homes (low-rise residential) are steam boilers. My guess is that the vast majority of boilers installed to heat a single residence, not a whole multifamily or commercial building, make hot water, not steam. I can't find the answer easily on the Web so I'm putting it out here to a group that should know.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    For new residential construction, that answer would be approximately zero. Even for restoration and rehab, still very,very low.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    5-7 % on Long Island, concentrated in the older villages. NYC is much higher, over 50% in Brooklyn and Queens
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    Hello: I seem to remember talk here of the last person doing new steam heating in the US being in New York.... so I'm agreeing with SWEI, that is approximately zero percent of all new systems. ~~ Yours is a familiar face Scrimshaw! :)

Yours, Larry
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Here in New England most steam boiler installations are replacing an older steam boiler. Just as an example there are approximately 2,500 steam boilers in the city of Providence. When federal money is made available for replacement the requirement is to replace the steam boilers with a warm air system. It is a shame and I certainly do not agree with that policy but that is your government for you.
    kcoppZman
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583

Here in New England most steam boiler installations are replacing an older steam boiler. Just as an example there are approximately 2,500 steam boilers in the city of Providence. When federal money is made available for replacement the requirement is to replace the steam boilers with a warm air system. It is a shame and I certainly do not agree with that policy but that is your government for you.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    vr608
  • Scrimshaw
    Scrimshaw Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the answers!

Robert, do you ever install steam boilers in new homes or would those numbers you gave refer to existing systems?

Larry, yes, I do believe we've met at a few conferences. I don't know if you've seen me with this nametag, though.

Robert O'Brien
  • Robert O'Brien
    Scrimshaw said:

Thanks for the answers!

Robert, do you ever install steam boilers in new homes or would those numbers you gave refer to existing systems?

Larry, yes, I do believe we've met at a few conferences. I don't know if you've seen me with this nametag, though.

No, no one does. Other than a few eccentrics, most of whom frequent this joint! :smiley:
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583

Scrimshaw said:

Thanks for the answers!

No, no one does. Other than a few eccentrics, most of whom frequent this joint! :smiley:
    I'll never own a home without steam. If it doesn't have steam when I buy it, it will when I'm done. ;)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Robert O'Brienvr608j a_2
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948

Wow... nice!! Sounds like a great opportunity to pick up radiators really cheap :)
    vr608Canucker
  • Robert O'Brien
    ChrisJ said:

Scrimshaw said:

Thanks for the answers!

I'll never own a home without steam. If it doesn't have steam when I buy it, it will when I'm done. ;)
    As I said, except for a few eccentrics! :)
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    All the apartments and the houses I've lived in had steam heat, when I was a kid almost all the houses in the area had steam heat (houses built from the late 1800's to the 20's).

A disturbing trend is seeing houses bought and gutted with the steam systems being replaced with poorly done hot air because it's dirt cheap. I've seen this done on a dozen houses in a two block area over the last 8-10 years.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Tim McElwain
    edited October 2015
    Wow... nice!! Sounds like a great opportunity to pick up radiators really cheap :)

You would think so but I know of several refinishing outfits who are selling radiators for as much as $800 each after they have been refurbished and made more decorative.

My grandson who own a construction and architectural company and does a lot of high end houses sees people putting these in as part of the emitter system for there new homes.
  • Tim McElwain
    I might add some of those radiators that went from steam got refurbished and installed and pressurized with 12 to 14 lbs pressure on FHW system LEAKED!
    j a_2Zman
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    BobC said:

A disturbing trend is seeing houses bought and gutted with the steam systems being replaced with poorly done hot air because it's dirt cheap. I've seen this done on a dozen houses in a two block area over the last 8-10 years.

Bob

I feel sorry for those poor misguided souls.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • vr608
    vr608 Member Posts: 144
    edited October 2015

You would think so but I know of several refinishing outfits who are selling radiators for as much as $800 each after they have been refurbished and made more decorative.

My grandson who own a construction and architectural company and does a lot of high end houses sees people putting these in as part of the emitter system for there new homes.

When I was hunting for a new radiator as part of my renovation, I came across this video, and was drooling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBiasIlDjRQ

If I didn't already have steam heat I would have definitely looked into getting one of these converted units.
    Peerless 63-03, 118,000 BTU (308 sqft), single-pipe steam system connected to 286 EDR of radiation, 30ft of baseboard and indirect DHW
    3PSI gauge
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Nobody, gives a crap about there heating system,and very few even look at it.....untill there cold, or the c o detector goes off and dinner out has to be canceled....Gee Mr home inspector said it was a beautiful system, now this greedy plumber says its in dire need of help....Dam plumbers..what do they know, bunch of thieves...
    SWEICanuckervr608RobG